• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KGVL 1400AM and 105.9 FM flipping to country

Just saw on KGVL's Facebook page that they are changing formats to country ("Friendlee") on November 14. Loved their playlist, great mix from 50s, 60s, 70s. Chuck Brinkman had a radio/music history spot a couple of times a week. What are Jaan McCoy and Hue Beavers up to?

Sorry to hear that happened. BigGVL was a good sounding station doomed with a weak signal.

==================================================

Doomed?? Really??

KGVL has a Class C, 1,000 watt, 24 hr, non directional AM signal.

Would you like to have and operate one of those? I certainly would!

It is a station that is licensed to and serves a city in Hunt County, Texas.

The fact that it can be heard in parts of Dallas during daytime hours
does not make it a Dallas station.

It is NOT a Dallas (or D-FW) radio station nor does it pretend to be.

It is designed for and is used to serve the people in Greenville and
Hunt County which is why it is there.

Mr. Beavers and Mr. McCoy have done a commendable job in trying
to restore the stations (1400AM & 105.9FM) back to previous levels
of service after others have been unsuccessful (for different reasons)
over the past 15 to 20 years.

I say: Good on 'em!

If they believe (and apparently they do) they must change the
format to remain financially viable, so be it!

I will continue to wish them the best and hope they are
successful in their efforts!

Well said. Throughout the years I have had a lot of respect for Hue. Since there are two FM country competitors nearby (The Possum and the Coyote) it's probably going to take a while to make a dent but I'm sure it will happen. That's how confident I am in Hue's abilities.

Whoa whoooa Sgt! I had no intention of upsetting you.

I just got the impression with that veteran DJ staff that oldies KGVL was always trying to get a piece of the northeast metroplex action, and maybe snag some KAAM listeners. Still I'm disappointed that they had to flip. Texas really needs another country station.

When they played oldies badly, there was minimal reason to listen to them.
Now there is no reason to listen to them.

=================================================

Mr. Burns,

If you do not live in Greenville or Hunt County,
there is no reason for YOU to listen to them.

See the above post about LOCAL programming
and service KGVL provides.

=================================================

They were a bad radio station playing 50s and 60s music. A bad radio station playing 50s and 60s music is better than no station playing 50s and 60s music. It certainly was not worth listening to for personality because there was none. It certainly was not worth listening to for superior audio processing because the audio processing of KGVL is nonexistent. KGVL had one useful purpose and that was being a 50s and 60s jukebox. I don't really care about local anything for Greenville or Hunt County. KGVL served one purpose that is now gone.

Terrible Change

I enjoyed the station and listened to it often. I didn't care for the 50's music much, but they would play songs from the 60's and 70's you wouldn't hear on the big city classic stations. Played music in the mornings instead of talk. Now that they have gone country I won't be listening anymore. Like was said earlier, the last thing we need in this area is another country station. Very disappointed but I will listen to oldies on the internet. S.W. Caddo Mills.

A bit of a bummer... Kind of strange they go from old semi-old oldies, so mothball aged country. I suppose its possible to bill better, but I don't know... No one on their facebook page seems to be happy

I went to Little Rock this weekend and had a chance to give this a listen passing through Greenville. Most of the time, the branding was "Friendly 1-0-5-9 and AM 1400". It's also on 107.1 FM, most likely KRVA. The branding and the legal ID do not mention the 107.1 frequency. I carried 107.1 just past Mt. Vernon. The audio on 105.9 and 1400 were in sync. The AM sounded loud and crisp to me and was listenable in my opinion. The audio on 107.1 seemed to be about 2 seconds behind. My radio showed stereo but I believe 107.1 was missing part of the audio chain. In certain songs, elements were missing, for example background vocals.

Aside from losing our oldies station, it IS admittedly a far superior classic country station than The Possum on 92.1 . I do have to wonder why they just didn't put Friendlee on 93.5, why run two country stations like crazy old Ken Jones' Metro Broadcasters?

I was born and raised under GVL's night coverage and I'll say this after 44 years:

The next thing good thing these stations turn out will be the first.

Aside from losing our oldies station, it IS admittedly a far superior classic country station than The Possum on 92.1 . I do have to wonder why they just didn't put Friendlee on 93.5, why run two country stations like crazy old Ken Jones' Metro Broadcasters?

Ken doesn't have that much to do with day to day operations of 95.3 FM.
His son Josh is the GM and has been the driving force behind the "Americana"
(not country, according to them) format. He has done reasonably well
considering all the obstacles he has had to overcome (mostly Ken).
Just about anything is going to be better than what's on 92.1 FM.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom