• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KGU history

C

Curious

Family legend has Marion Mulroney being born in Malden, Washington in the 1800's. He was a stepson to Robert Patterson, my great great grandfather. Marion was working with Marconi in Italy to develop the wireless. He was suppose to travel by ship to Italy for a joint introduction, and just before he left the states, Marconi announced the wireless, taking all the credit. Years before I heard this information, someone called in to a radio show in California and made the same claim about one of his ancestors. Apparently, Marconi was working with a group of people, then jumped the gun to take full credit for the wireless.

Marion Mulroney's history is a little vague, but he ended up in Hawaii and started station KGU, the first radio station in Hawaii in 1922. My uncle Les Hill was in the Navy in WWII and my cousins have pictures of their dad, Les Hill, standing with Marion Mulroney at the base of the broadcast tower. He came to visit Les and the family in Spokane Washington many years ago after the war.

Marion Mulrony came to Australia in late December 1909 as a wireless operator on the SS Makura. He was a shareholder of the Maritime Wireless Company. Do you wish to know more? I don't know when he left Australia to return to Hawaii. In Family Search his birth date is 1887 he would have been only 9 years old when Marconi patented his wireless in 1896. He is shown as being born in Colfax, Whitman, Washington. Dying in Tacoma, Pierce, Washington in 1960

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom