• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KGOW out of whack

Was in DFW over the New Year’s weekend, and had a brief window to scan the AM band there late one evening.

Guess what? I found KGOW booming in at almost local strength at night. Their array must be seriously out of whack; it should not be putting anything towards DFW or any direction other than a tight SE pattern. No wonder there have been reports of the station being heard in Wyoming and points north.

KGOW has been using their night site 24/7 the past few years; haven’t heard the day site on the air in a long time.

Was in DFW over the New Year’s weekend, and had a brief window to scan the AM band there late one evening.

Guess what? I found KGOW booming in at almost local strength at night. Their array must be seriously out of whack; it should not be putting anything towards DFW or any direction other than a tight SE pattern. No wonder there have been reports of the station being heard in Wyoming and points north.

KGOW has been using their night site 24/7 the past few years; haven’t heard the day site on the air in a long time.
Welcome to our world, 🐸. Been that way up here since 2007.

Welcome to our world, 🐸. Been that way up here since 2007.
That was the separate day array which beamed 50kw to the NNE; during critical hours it was making it into the Great Lakes region and Ontario. That site has been off for several years. The night array is the one booming into DFW.

It was a nightly visitor in SE.. sometimes very good, sometimes not... one houston engineer heard my clips and said i heard it better than most in houston.

I heard it in alaska 2 or 3 nights ago.. ive heard it about half a dozen times here in AK

It was a nightly visitor in SE.. sometimes very good, sometimes not... one houston engineer heard my clips and said i heard it better than most in houston.

I heard it in alaska 2 or 3 nights ago.. ive heard it about half a dozen times here in AK
You can hardly pick it up in the Houston Metro

That was the separate day array which beamed 50kw to the NNE; during critical hours it was making it into the Great Lakes region and Ontario. That site has been off for several years. The night array is the one booming into DFW.
And into ETX. Whichever array it is, it's "out of whack" and has been for a long time. A regular part of our dial for over 15 years now.

KGOW was quite strong into Alaska tonight, mostly wiping out normally mostly audible KNZR Bakersfield, CA for several minutes

... like.. even a casual vietnamese speaker couldve understood what was being said. it was that clear

Interesting. I’m not too far NE from the nighttime site and it’s not that strong. I actually hear KTXZ mixing in.

Nighttime AM reception is definitely weird. I’ve heard WTAW stronger further away like Lake Charles or Longview than I do closer to them.

Interesting. I’m not too far NE from the nighttime site and it’s not that strong. I actually hear KTXZ mixing in.

Nighttime AM reception is definitely weird. I’ve heard WTAW stronger further away like Lake Charles or Longview than I do closer to them.
I notice the same thing for a few weeks

Sorting through some of my audio and heres reception of KGOW in early January that is just amazing, really
The signal path from KGOW to McGrath, Alaska (3,450 miles) is pretty much 180 degrees from the pattern the station should be producing. It’s almost as if their array has been completely turned around. Thus the almost local reception I heard in DFW.

The signal path from KGOW to McGrath, Alaska (3,450 miles) is pretty much 180 degrees from the pattern the station should be producing. It’s almost as if their array has been completely turned around. Thus the almost local reception I heard in DFW.

IT seems liek that sometimes, but KGOW isnt consistently here or that good.. now, when i was in laramie, WY.. it was in nightly there. but.. not always good.

Back
Top Bottom