• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KDWN and KXST ceasing operations

I am also hearing KFIR here in Fresno. They must be on day power of 10kw ND. They're night authorization of 148w is not going to sound this good.
I'm going to change my mind about KFIR being on their day power at night. I hear them again tonight. I'm beginning to believe that maybe 148w into a tuned vertical tower can make the trip. Without looking, I'm going to guess 750mi to Fresno.

Tonight at 8:30 PM MST in my car, I was hearing a fading signal from a Spanish-language station, with WGN (positively ID'ed) in the background. RadioLocator doesn't show any high-powered Mexican stations on that frequency (info taken with a boatload of Sodium Chloride), nor are there any US stations shown broadcasting in Spanish on 720.
This map suggests it could be KSAH in San Antonio.

Could it have been a Radio Progreso tx from Cuba? My Global Radio Guide lists that as the only international 720 that would make sense.

(Clicking here via notification didn't load the responses til I replied)

A lot of the people who are buying these AM stations are doing so for the possibly of having a 250 watt FM translator.

As I recall, an STA can have 1/4 of the station's licensed power, even at a different location and nondirectional. I'd have to read the STA rules to see if the 0.5 mV/m signal can be extended with the STA. I know of one highly directional AM whose 0.5 mV/m was extended by the STA in an area with four closely spaced zero IDF Theoretical nulls, in terms of null azimuths.

Last edited:
A lot of the people who are buying these AM stations are doing so for the possibly of having a 250 watt FM translator.

As I recall, an STA can have 1/4 of the station's licensed power, even at a different location and nondirectional. I'd have to read the STA rules to see if the 0.5 mV/m signal can be extended with the STA. I know of one highly directional AM whose 0.5 mV/m was extended by the STA in an area with four closely spaced zero IDF Theoretical nulls, in terms of null azimuths.
The two AM licenses are still alive . On 3/6 Audacy filed to take them silent (STA), not to cancel them.
Better off filing a silent STA than turning in the licenses right away. They have a year to decide what to do with them. Maybe they could get them back on from a different site.
KDWN already had a translator, K268CS.

The STA holder does have to address interference complaints. Class A (formerly I-B) WFME 1560 New York had an STA for 10 KW (ND unlimited, different location) and got a complaint not from a licensed station. They reduced the power to 2.5 KW for certain hours, mostly daytime,, not related to sunrise or sunset.

To recap, a few years ago WFME sold their regular transmitter site, similarly to KDWN's in a warehouse district (for $51M), and are now seeking a new site, most likely to be a diplexing arrangement. The way they were allocated, Class B formerly II-As such as KDWN originally had patterns comparable to and reached areas comparably to I-Bs. The differences were that II-As did not receive protection from the co-channel whcih was a class I (class A) and Class II-As did not have protectable skywave contours.

Adding to the complexity and cost of building any new facilities is the need to address address unforeseen and sometimes peculiar interference complaints. Often it takes the form of visiting the complainant and installing measures to alleviate the interference. Correction might also involve revising the coverage pattern, usually reducing coverage and/or power.

Last edited:
The STA holder does have to address interference complaints. Class A (formerly I-B) WFME 1560 New York had an STA for 10 KW (ND unlimited, different location) and got a complaint not from a licensed station. They reduced the power to 2.5 KW for certain hours, mostly daytime,, not related to sunrise or sunset.

To recap, a few years ago WFME sold their regular transmitter site, similarly to KDWN's in a warehouse district (for $51M), and are now seeking a new site, most likely to be a diplexing arrangement. The way they were allocated, Class B formerly II-As such as KDWN originally had patterns comparable to and reached areas comparably to I-Bs. The differences were that II-As did not receive protection from the co-channel whcih was a class I (class A) and Class II-As did not have protectable skywave contours.

Adding to the complexity and cost of building any new facilities is the need to address address unforeseen and sometimes peculiar interference complaints. Often it takes the form of visiting the complainant and installing measures to alleviate the interference. Correction might also involve revising the coverage pattern, usually reducing coverage and/or power.
What was the station alleging interference?

Here is the STA application for 10 kW from the WFMU site in New Jersey, prepared by Ben Dawson, one of the most highly respected consulting engineers in the business. I would think that they could follow up with more Exhibits showing potential nearby overlaps. I would think though that they could find a tower closer to the still licensed vacated site to use.

Last edited:
Here is an entry on fccdata.org which shows the KDWN facility when it was 50 kW DA-N. If you zoom out, you'll see that the 0.5 mV/m 50% skywave reached all of California. Now, the NIF limit is quite a it higher due to interference from WGN. But like many Class Bs, both former Class II-As, II-Bs, III-As and III-Bs, that have been granted with 20 kW or more Nighttime with DAs, there is usable Night skywave, particularly in the closer coastal areas of California, where they may get a 2 mV/m or more 50% skywave from the old 50 kW KDWN and other former Class II-As.

Last edited:
The KDWN/KXST transmitter site is the one that is located just to the East of where I-15 and 215 intersect in North Las Vegas, right?

Who is it that has their transmitter site to the East of Rancho, close to 95? It's a really dumpy area. I believe there are multiple towers.. KENO-AM?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom