• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KDRI 830 Poor Signal (SON,MX)

Hello, As you know, in this region on the other side of the border, 99% of the AM stations have already migrated to FM in exchange for returning their old frequency. This allows Sonora to have the entire AM band free without interference.

During 2020 we were able to tune in to station KDRI 830 without problems, I loved its programming and it was one of my favorites when I traveled from Hermosillo, SON to Nogales, Az but this year it is much more difficult to listen to it during the day and impossible at night. when previously it was possible without problems.

Is there more information, or did it just have a power reduction?

Thank you :)

tune in hight -> 登录 Facebook

Last edited:
Hello, As you know, in this region on the other side of the border, 99% of the AM stations have already migrated to FM in exchange for returning their old frequency. This allows Sonora to have the entire AM band free without interference.
Not quite. There are about 75% to 80% of the previously existing AMs that moved to FM. But along the US border area (regulated by bi-national agreements) and in Monterrey, Puebla, Mexico City and Guadalajara many AMs could not migrate; Mexico City still has over 30 licensed fulltime AMs.

In addition, some AMs like 540 in San Luis Potosí had to remain on to take care of unserved areas. And many new AMs were given using abandoned channels. Some are in rugged terrain rural areas, others have gone to the non-commercial sector for specialized services and formats.
During 2020 we were able to tune in to station KDRI 830 without problems, I loved its programming and it was one of my favorites when I traveled from Hermosillo, SON to Nogales, Az but this year it is much more difficult to listen to it during the day and impossible at night. when previously it was possible without problems.
There seems to be no change in the license. Perhaps they are running lower power, without authorization, on the AM, as they depend on the FM translators for their audience and revenue; the AM is just a mechanism to get the two FM translators.

Forever and a day the FCC rule has been that a station can transmit 10 percent less than its authorized power and no more than 105 percent. The concept is efficient use of the spectrum. Transmit with low power and you aren't giving the public maximum service. Only in recent years has electricity bills been considered the dominant factor. Really want to save money? Go off the air completely. Some stations are doing just that. After a year of that nonsense they lose their license. Years ago when that happened some other operator would grab the frequency. Today that hardly ever happens.

Nearly 300km (~170 miles) between Nogales and Hermosillo...add in another 120km (~75 miles) to the transmitter and I'd say that's pretty good...even for 50kw of power at that low frequency.

(yeah, map isn't close, we know...)

Nearly 300km (~170 miles) between Nogales and Hermosillo...add in another 120km (~75 miles) to the transmitter and I'd say that's pretty good...even for 50kw of power at that low frequency.
Although it no longer has the same performance, it can still be heard in half the state: Peñasco, Caborca, Santa-ana, Cananea, Agua prieta.

Although it no longer has the same performance, it can still be heard in half the state: Peñasco, Caborca, Santa-ana, Cananea,
Makes me want to start humming "Cárcel de Cananea".

Agua prieta.
... and hear some songs by Los APSON.

... corren rumores que soy un barba azul...

Is there more information, or did it just have a power reduction?

Thank you :)

tune in hight -> 登录 Facebook
From the other direction (metro Phoenix), I'm not hearing any difference now, compared with 2020.
Same here, although I didn't discover "The Drive" until March of '21. I listen to it all day here in the Valley while on my delivery rounds. In the heart of downtown, I do have some signal challenges, but otherwise, it's consistent

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom