• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KDKA Transmitter Site (Allison Park)

After 4 years and frequent visits to Pittsburgh visiting my son who studies at Pitt I was finally able to make a trip to Allison Park to see the KDKA antenna tower. I was able to snap some pictures, but they did not turn out that well.

Attachments

• KDKA.jpg
    KDKA.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 19
  • KDKA_aux.jpg
    KDKA_aux.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 19
I was surprised how easily it was accessible. The main tower was only fenced off at the base. If I wanted to I could have gotten quite close to the tower. Something not common around the local blow torches in Chicago. The aux tower and the transmitter building was fenced off separately. At the same time I was there a young kid from a nearby house was riding his dirt bike around the tower.

You may appreciate a write up Scott Fybush did about KDKA for that station's 100th anniversary. Within that "site of the week" article, he's posted links to older pieces that detail his earlier visits to KDKA with even more information and some pretty awesome photos of their older behemoth of a transmitter:

I have seen that article as well as many of the other articles that Scott has written. I have really appreciated the ones on the Chicago area radio stations. He does a great job.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom