• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KCYB-LP In Stereo this morning

R

rbrucecarter5

I know there was formerly talk that they were foregoing stereo to maximize range, but this morning they were in full stereo and sounded great! The high noise floor also seemed to be gone. But skip was rolling, and KPBA was showing up on the RDS display, in spite of the stereo audio being from KCYB! I clearly heard Cypress announcements with KPBA on the RDS display.

KCYB has been stereo for a couple of months now. It does sound better than their earlier attempt. Punchier audio than co-channel KBPA or KYBY.

KPBA was showing up on the RDS display, in spite of the stereo audio being from KCYB! I clearly heard Cypress announcements with KPBA on the RDS display.

KCYB probably doesn't have any subcarriers above the 38 kHz stereo L-R signal. RDS is on a 57 kHz subcarrier, so it would be in the clear from KBPA.

I know there was formerly talk that they were foregoing stereo to maximize range, but this morning they were in full stereo and sounded great!

Good for them. Whenever I'm out in Katy of Cypress, I always tune-in to check on them, and it seems they're moving in a positive direction. Heard the Colonel the other day, which was a nice touch as well.

While it's true that FM mono can have better fringe coverage, the only viable option I could see is news/talk.

I know this is going to date me, but do any of you old codgers remember when FM monaural stations would inject a 19 kHz pilot tone so the stereo light on the FM receivers would illuminate? The theory was, those listeners who were scanning the band would avoid the mono stations like the plague, but would stop on the ones that lit up the stereo light.

I know this is going to date me, but do any of you old codgers remember when FM monaural stations would inject a 19 kHz pilot tone so the stereo light on the FM receivers would illuminate? The theory was, those listeners who were scanning the band would avoid the mono stations like the plague, but would stop on the ones that lit up the stereo light.

Sounds a little sneaky... :p

Did that actually make the stations stereo on the receivers, or just trick them?

KCYB has been stereo for a couple of months now. It does sound better than their earlier attempt. Punchier audio than co-channel KBPA or KYBY.

KCYB probably doesn't have any subcarriers above the 38 kHz stereo L-R signal. RDS is on a 57 kHz subcarrier, so it would be in the clear from KBPA.

Key word there is probably - their call letters show up on an RDS display, so they run RDS. So somehow KPBA RDS was stronger that morning. There seems to be a plague of mono versions of songs being played on various oldies stations. Stereo versions of Satisfaction and Good Vibrations, as well as several other songs exist, but increasingly stations that used to play the stereo versions are going back to mono. This isn't analogous to color vs. black and white photography. Stereo versions are always better, provided they were made at the studio at the same time as the mono and aren't synthesized stereo or something.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom