• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KBUU-LP granted license to cover

The FCC today (Dec. 20) granted KBUU-LP its final authority - license to cover - in Malibu, with 71 watts at 99.1

The operators of radio station KLDB-LP in Venice - trying to get on 99.1 - have asked for reconsideration of the FCC "minor modification" that allowed KBUU to move.

Our lawyers are confidant that will not happen. The FCC has recently reaffirmed its rule, that LPFM stations may not successfully complain of interference unless the offending station is less than 26 kilometers away. We are 30 km away from KLDB-LP, and although their sister station on 99.1 KTPC-LP gets clobbered in Venice, that signal is KGGI/Riverside, which has a totally different format. KBUU does not interfere weith the protected contour of ANY radio station, either theoretically or in field tests.

KBUU had originally asked for 99.1 but was given 97.5 by the FCC three years ago. 97.5l has a strong signal from KLYY in Riverside from the east, and KYGA in Goleta from the west. In order to protect 97.9 KLAX from second channel interference at one house at its transmitter, KBUU was on a directional antenna pointing out to sea at 55 watts.

The channel move allowed KBUU to resolve the extensive interference on 97.5, power up to 71 watts and point one directional antenna at the Malibu Civic Center.

A huge improvement! We now cover all of PCH from the Ventura County Line east to the Big Rock area - 95 percent of PCH in Malibu. East of there, terrain blocks us and KGGI/Riverside and KTPC-LP Venice battle it out. KBUU comes in sloghtly on PCH in Santa Monica, but loses to KTPC in Venice and KGGI everywhere else.

We also have a few fuzzy spots in Malibu: near Pepperdine and at Latigo Beach. Unless Pepperdine flattens another mountain, we'll have to live with that.

KBUU has 16 volunteers and programs "smart rock" daytimes, volunteer DJs at night, jazz on 2 nights and non-NPR public radio shows Sunday. Saturday night is 60s and 70s music.

KBUU originates 77 minutes of local news every weekday, and carries network news from Democracy Now!. the KQED California Report, and other sources. During the Thomas Fire, KBUU was on the air 24/7 carrying local news and audio from its volunteers, and by permission from KTLA and KTTV, their continuous coverage.

KBUU is owned and operated by Zuma Beach FM Emergency and Community Broadcasters, Inc., a 501 (c) 3 tax exempt company. No staff is paid, operating expenses are about $20,000 annually.

Studios are in a house near Zuma Beach, volunteers track their shows at home and feed them to the KBUU server, Godzilla, for playback on the Enco DAD machine, Jaws.

It's been 17 years to get here.

www.radiomalibu.net or 99.1 FM in Malibu.

Last edited:
Hans....awesome. I have family near Duke's / Las Flores Canyon Road (just a bit west of Big Rock) and until now was not able to hear KBUU on 97.5 when visiting there. Have tried since reading about your effort a couple years ago in Don Barrett's column. Looking forward to tuning into "KBU" on 99.1 next time I'm in the "BU". On what day did the frequency swap take place?

Also, I am helping an effort to get a LPFM on air in Long Beach (KLBP-LP). I'd love to chat with you about your 17 year journey and some of the current obstacles with getting KLBP-LP on-air despite having a license grant from the FCC. However, you are not listed on your website's KBU Crew page, so what is an email to reach you on?

Lastly, I noticed the similar URL, radiomalibu.com, is for sale.
-David

Hi David. We stream at www.radiomalibu.net and are quite happy not paying the .com squatter.
The big cliff east of Duke's is one of three places on PCH where our 71 watts get blocked. Many of the places that I suspect would be zero reception actually get a usable signal.
Freq swap was in November.
I am at [email protected] .

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom