• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KARL 95.9 Early 70's

t.j. said:
Hey Guys:

Was KARL ever a Freeform AOR in the early 70's?

Thanks

T.J.

Oh yeah -

I had friends who worked there while I was at KUDE Oceanside, and then at one point when I was unemployed the PD, Mike Brown, asked me to do an evening fill-in shift so that all their regulars could attend the Christmas party. I said I'd do it on one condition: that I be allowed to bring my own music. Since it was freeform anyway, he agreed. So I picked out a stack of albums at home and brought them with me for an evening of fun. I wish I had a tape of that but I doubt they had a tape machine in the control room. This was a station where the production room was separated from the office by partitions that did not go all the way to the ceiling, so if you wanted to do production without having the mike pick up the office sounds, you had to do it after hours.

I should add that was circa 1973 when I filled in at KARL.

radio-darn: Thanks for that info. I appreciated your help. When I was doing my research from the braodcasting yearbooks the formats for KARL from 1971 to 1975 was listed as Contemp.

I was in radio for 14 years and I have never attended a Christmas Party. I always had to be on the board running my show. I was working while everyone else was having fun.

Would you happen to know was the freeform format on KARL from 1972 to 1974?

Thanks

T.J.

t.j. said:
Would you happen to know was the freeform format on KARL from 1972 to 1974?

As I said, they were still doing freeform rock when I filled in about 1973.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom