• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KAHM honors Doris Day

Global, Mega Superstar Veronica Tyler, KAHM's longtime weekday
personality has remained live on air today to honor Doris Day.
Every 30-45 minutes, Veronica announces that "KAHM remembers
Doris Day," and then plays one of her many, many memorable hits.
And this my friends is what makes KAHM beloved in so many people's
hearts and minds in Central and Northern Arizona. The power of radio,
accept no imitations or substitutes.......

Global, Mega Superstar Veronica Tyler, KAHM's longtime weekday
personality has remained live on air today to honor Doris Day.
Every 30-45 minutes, Veronica announces that "KAHM remembers
Doris Day," and then plays one of her many, many memorable hits.
And this my friends is what makes KAHM beloved in so many people's
hearts and minds in Central and Northern Arizona. The power of radio,
accept no imitations or substitutes.......

I am approaching the point of being a full two decades removed from the coveted 25-54 sales demo and I can't, off the top of my head, name a single Doris Day hit song. Nor do I wish to hear any out of curiosity.

Recalling my pre-teen friends from my childhood in Ohio, I don't remember any of them who were at all interested in those pre-rock 'n roll songs that we'd call MOR or standards.

While in a smaller, non-agency market like Prescott with a very high median age there may be some businesses appealing to the over-70 community, and while there may be some novelty value in featuring a song or two by Doris Day, we are talking about a very limited audience that can relate to that music.

Last edited:
"I am approaching the point of being a full two decades removed from the coveted 25-54 sales demo and I can't, off the top of my head, name a single Doris Day hit song. Nor do I wish to hear any out of curiosity. "

I am surprised, make that "shocked" that someone in their "prime" such as you, David,
cannot name, nor wishes to hear any of her many, many hits. I'm 20 years your junior
and enjoyed her music then and perhaps even more now. Yes, I do enjoy some rock and
roll but it is not the same as those big names, like Doris Day. I'll shed many a tear when
Tony Bennett passes....... I feel sorry for those who can not or will not appreciate good
music.

"I am approaching the point of being a full two decades removed from the coveted 25-54 sales demo and I can't, off the top of my head, name a single Doris Day hit song. Nor do I wish to hear any out of curiosity. "

I am surprised, make that "shocked" that someone in their "prime" such as you, David,
cannot name, nor wishes to hear any of her many, many hits. I'm 20 years your junior
and enjoyed her music then and perhaps even more now. Yes, I do enjoy some rock and
roll but it is not the same as those big names, like Doris Day. I'll shed many a tear when
Tony Bennett passes....... I feel sorry for those who can not or will not appreciate good
music.

Popular music is designed to be ephemeral. People write it, sing it and record it for one reason -- to make plenty of money quickly, while they're alive to enjoy it. The "Great American Songbook" is as much of a self-absorbed generational conceit as the oft-stated Baby Boomer assertion that the music of the '60s was the greatest ever. Bullfeathers. All popular music appeals most strongly to the people who were young when it was created. To think of any generation's ditties as of greater artistic merit that any other's is delusional.

music.

I spent my pre-teen years in the land of Alan "Moondog" Freed and Pete "Mad Daddy" Myers, in a home where my parents listened to classical music and my father was a founder of the Cleveland Symphony. So I split time between WHK, WERE and KYW/WKYC and WCLV. I found the MOR stations (Cleveland had, at the end of the 50's, just 3 formats: MOR, Top 40 and r&B) to be stodgy and I did not like the crooners, whether Frank or Tony or Dean. And big band music was my equivalent of fingernails on a blackboard.

Was that music I did not like good? It was not for me. Music is a personal taste, and I found the songs of The Great Generation to be annoying.

By the time I was in my early teens, and working for an R&B AM and Jazz FM, I had found how much I liked R&B and how the more I listened to jazz, the less I liked it. I soon moved on to find my favorite music of all kinds, but that happened in my mid-teens. Again, a personal preference based on life experiences.

Popular music is designed to be ephemeral. People write it, sing it and record it for one reason -- to make plenty of money quickly, while they're alive to enjoy it. The "Great American Songbook" is as much of a self-absorbed generational conceit as the oft-stated Baby Boomer assertion that the music of the '60s was the greatest ever. Bullfeathers. All popular music appeals most strongly to the people who were young when it was created. To think of any generation's ditties as of greater artistic merit that any other's is delusional.

And yet The Beatles music is still relevant. People who weren't alive in the 60s are singing Beatles songs on The Voice. I doubt that anyone will remember Ariana Grande in 50 years.

Some music holds up better because it was created as Art, not product. Many of the Woodstock Era artists flourished in a period of high creativity and experimentation. There is a reason why artists like The Beatles, Hendrix, Miles Davis and countless others are still revered. It's called Quality...

And yet The Beatles music is still relevant. People who weren't alive in the 60s are singing Beatles songs on The Voice. I doubt that anyone will remember Ariana Grande in 50 years..

I dare say they will -- "they" being the vast majority of today's teens and 20-somethings who don't care about the Beatles or their music. Just because you don't like the way popular music has evolved, don't assume that the genre's target audience feels the same way. If it did, nobody would be going to Ariana's concerts, buying her music or listening to the many radio stations that play her.

I dare say they will -- "they" being the vast majority of today's teens and 20-somethings who don't care about the Beatles or their music. Just because you don't like the way popular music has evolved, don't assume that the genre's target audience feels the same way. If it did, nobody would be going to Ariana's concerts, buying her music or listening to the many radio stations that play her.

That's right. They like her "now". Time will tell on whether she holds up. The Beatles have stood the test of time.
Why is their music constantly being "covered" by 20 somethings? It must be the Quality...

It must be the Quality...

Maybe. They also cover Shania Twain. For much the same reason. It's what they heard in the car when they were kids.

The current generation was raised in the car being shuttled around from activity to activity. Not so the previous generation.

The ABC, CBS and even NBC evening news covered the passing of Doris Day.
They used many superlatives, like "legend," "timeless," to describe her voice
and her acting. I seriously doubt that 60 years from now anyone will remember
or care to remember any of the "so called talent" of today. If America truly
had talent, they haven't shown me any on their television propaganda show........

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom