• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

k222cx is back well kinda

I was driving around 1960 and 45 north and I caught Dead air on 92.3. But the RDS was on and it said KYOK 92.3 and 1140 am.

I tuned in to 1140 and a lady was preaching in Spanish.

I was driving around 1960 and 45 north and I caught Dead air on 92.3. But the RDS was on and it said KYOK 92.3 and 1140 am.

I tuned in to 1140 and a lady was preaching in Spanish.
92.3 has been dead air with RDS for months

I can hear 1140 AM loud and clear right now and it’s Gospel music. It’s not the only daytimer I’m hearing though. 880 is also on daytime power.
Anyway this has been forwarded to the owners of 92.3, let's see if they get around and fix it...
The owners must never be in the listening area which is believable. Is the second translator ever going on the air?

I can hear 1140 AM loud and clear right now and it’s Gospel music. It’s not the only daytimer I’m hearing though. 880 is also on daytime power.

The owners must never be in the listening area which is believable. Is the second translator ever going on the air?
Would make sense, according to FCC records the owner is in Corpus. The signal is pretty hot, I can pick up dead air with RDS at my house up in Conroe... and at my old office near Old Town Spring, 92.3 was strong enough to knock out a good portion of the FM band on a tuner inside of my office.

The signal is pretty hot, I can pick up dead air with RDS at my house up in Conroe... and at my old office near Old Town Spring, 92.3 was strong enough to knock out a good portion of the FM band on a tuner inside of my office.
The K222CX tower is on Aldine Westfield Rd, just north of Louetta, so all of Old Town Spring and surrounding areas get a strong dose of silence 24/7, meaning other stations on 92.3 and adjacent frequencies are wiped out, for nothing. It can't be legal to broadcast a silent carrier with RDS for months on end for a supposedly 250 watt signal that "tb_" says reaches Conroe. That means K222CX would reach Cypress, Atascocita, and near downtown Houston, with zero programming.

FCC states that the K222CX licensee is Carlos Lopez and the AM 1140 KYOK originating licensee is Martin Broadcasting.

The K222CX tower is on Aldine Westfield Rd, just north of Louetta, so all of Old Town Spring and surrounding areas get a strong dose of silence 24/7, meaning other stations on 92.3 and adjacent frequencies are wiped out, for nothing. It can't be legal to broadcast a silent carrier with RDS for months on end for a supposedly 250 watt signal that "tb_" says reaches Conroe. That means K222CX would reach Cypress, Atascocita, and near downtown Houston, with zero programming.

FCC states that the K222CX licensee is Carlos Lopez and the AM 1140 KYOK originating licensee is Martin Broadcasting.
The law apparently doesn't apply to Carlos Lopez. KHTW 1300 has been silent for years.

The 92.3 translator barely gets outside of their furthest contour. Especially with KROI’s HD sideband and KEHH

Tuned 92.3 in earlier this afternoon near I-45 and Research Forest, no more dead air. However, it sounds like they are just feeding it with an AM radio tuned to 1140.
That’s how they were months ago before it was a preacher in Spanish for like 3 weeks then back to dead air

Both of which are well-known to ignore the rules. No, it's not legal for a translator to have dead air when the parent station is also dead air for extended length of time.. That's against the rules but like I said above....

If a translator has dead air and the parent station isn’t playing dead air, that means that the translator is originating programming.

If a translator has dead air and the parent station isn’t playing dead air, that means that the translator is originating programming.

NO, not necessarily @NickD .. while that may be whats happening here.... thats not always the case.

When i worked for a 3 station cluster with an AM that had a translator, it was theoretically possible for for the translator to continue on while the AM died... the translator was 2 blocks from the studio, the STL hoped from the studio to the translator then the translator to the AM.. so while im sure we had a system in place if the AM went down, the translator would.. it was theoretically possible for it to continue sans AM

A translator is supposed to rebroadcast another station. If it’s a translator of an AM station, it can originate programming at night. But other than that it has to rebroadcast another station. Technically, if it’s playing dead air and the parent station has audio, the translator is originating programming (dead air). Obviously it’s a technical problem that shouldn’t be fined. But if it continued for months like it did on K222CX, that’s a sign that the owner could care less about fixing the issue. The translator should have gone silent and an STA filed if they couldn’t fix the dead air problem.

Let me clarify further: Let's say KYND 1520 had a FM translator. The translator rebroadcasts KYND 24/7. It cannot be a second station. KYND on AM must leave the air at sunset but the translator allows KYND to operate 24/7 with the FM translator. Depending on the manner that KYND acquired a translator determines what you can do with the translator.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom