• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

K-OKC....

M

MediaMogul

I never really realized how bad KOKC really was until this morning.... and what is sad is just how much potential that they could have had if they had just done it right from the start...

I will give the news guy and traffic guy credit... they are fine. The newsman were going into great detail about the changes that will be made by General Motors. They were saying that something was going to happen... They weren't sure exactly what and they were awaiting an announcement. Keep it tuned to 1520 and we'll keep you up to date... So I did... Now keep in mind that this is a decision that could affect a good percentage of Oklahoma City's workforce.

You go back and join "The Rick Roberts Show"... And he is talking about some Arab that has been found on the Mexican border like this is the top story of the day. Could he have made it any more blatently obvious that he is being piped in from San Diego and the "Left Coast"... Totally not in touch with OKC... totally oblivious to anything that is happening in town.

But there is always that really good chance that I was the only one listening. Wouldn't surprise me with the state of 1520 K-OKC....

> I never really realized how bad KOKC really was until this
> morning.... and what is sad is just how much potential that
> they could have had if they had just done it right from the
> start...
>
> I will give the news guy and traffic guy credit... they are
> fine. The newsman were going into great detail about the
> changes that will be made by General Motors. They were
> saying that something was going to happen... They weren't
> sure exactly what and they were awaiting an announcement.
> Keep it tuned to 1520 and we'll keep you up to date... So I
> did... Now keep in mind that this is a decision that could
> affect a good percentage of Oklahoma City's workforce.
>
> You go back and join "The Rick Roberts Show"... And he is
> talking about some Arab that has been found on the Mexican
> border like this is the top story of the day. Could he have
> made it any more blatently obvious that he is being piped in
> from San Diego and the "Left Coast"... Totally not in touch
> with OKC... totally oblivious to anything that is happening
> in town.
>
> But there is always that really good chance that I was the
> only one listening. Wouldn't surprise me with the state of
> 1520 K-OKC....
>

Sad, but no surprise on KOKC. I've actually been listening to WKY more
because of local issues and talk. Sure, Trabor grates on you a bit, but at least their doing something.

I will hand it to Ken Johnson and Dave Laney on KOKC. As far as news, these guys simply get it. In fact I would put their news over KTOK's and WKY's news any day. I know this because I worked with them. Ken Johnson is a walking encyclopedia of Oklahoma City contacts. I am totally surprised no one in this market has tried to hire these guys away from the sleeping giant. They definitely deserve a better station to work with.

If I were the PD of WKY, I would let the college kids that do the news go, hire Ken Johnson and Dave Lany fulltime in their news department as well as keep Shawn Carey in the morning news. In addition, I would clean up WKY's imaging to match the intensity of the station. WKY has such potential to be a really good talk station but yet they fall short on Imaging and news.

Okay, I'll shutup now before I get into anymore trouble...lololololo

> I never really realized how bad KOKC really was until this
> morning.... and what is sad is just how much potential that
> they could have had if they had just done it right from the
> start...

Just done it right from the start? Surely you are talking about programming, and NOT the news. I mean, I know you said the news was OK, buy you're talking about the current news, so I won't assume what you must have thought about the local news content when KOMA flipped.

Speaking of programming, I went to the K-OKC website the other day (komanews.com is the web address, how funny is that?) and was looking at the schedule. Looks like someone is trying to please all of the people all of the time, with as many different talkers as are on there. Either trying to please all the people etc., or just the inability to say no to a syndie salesman.

I don't know. Tell me if I'm wrong, but it seems that once Rush made his influence on AM talk, the standard format for a talk show became a 3 hr. show. KOKC has 2 talkers with 3 hour shifts, but everyone else, Ingrahm, Bruce, Boortz, Humphries and Doyle all are given 2 hours. Is there any talk station in the country that is succeeding with a boatload of 2-hr talkers, and very few 3-hr talkers? If there is, I'd love to know about it.

> > I never really realized how bad KOKC really was until this
>
> > morning.... and what is sad is just how much potential
> that
> > they could have had if they had just done it right from
> the
> > start...
> >
> > I will give the news guy and traffic guy credit... they
> are
> > fine. The newsman were going into great detail about the
> > changes that will be made by General Motors. They were
> > saying that something was going to happen... They weren't
> > sure exactly what and they were awaiting an announcement.
> > Keep it tuned to 1520 and we'll keep you up to date... So
> I
> > did... Now keep in mind that this is a decision that could
>
> > affect a good percentage of Oklahoma City's workforce.
> >
> > You go back and join "The Rick Roberts Show"... And he is
> > talking about some Arab that has been found on the Mexican
>
> > border like this is the top story of the day. Could he
> have
> > made it any more blatently obvious that he is being piped
> in
> > from San Diego and the "Left Coast"... Totally not in
> touch
> > with OKC... totally oblivious to anything that is
> happening
> > in town.
> >
> > But there is always that really good chance that I was the
>
> > only one listening. Wouldn't surprise me with the state of
>
> > 1520 K-OKC....
> >
>
>
> Sad, but no surprise on KOKC. I've actually been listening
> to WKY more
> because of local issues and talk. Sure, Trabor grates on
> you a bit, but at least their doing something.
>
> I will hand it to Ken Johnson and Dave Laney on KOKC. As
> far as news, these guys simply get it. In fact I would put
> their news over KTOK's and WKY's news any day. I know this
> because I worked with them. Ken Johnson is a walking
> encyclopedia of Oklahoma City contacts. I am totally
> surprised no one in this market has tried to hire these guys
> away from the sleeping giant. They definitely deserve a
> better station to work with.
>
> If I were the PD of WKY, I would let the college kids that
> do the news go, hire Ken Johnson and Dave Lany fulltime in
> their news department as well as keep Shawn Carey in the
> morning news. In addition, I would clean up WKY's imaging
> to match the intensity of the station. WKY has such
> potential to be a really good talk station but yet they fall
> short on Imaging and news.
>
> Okay, I'll shutup now before I get into anymore
> trouble...lololololo
>

Rumor has it Dave has bailed out of 1520. Can anyone confirm this?

<P ID="signature">______________
--- THE Insultant ---</P>

>
> Just done it right from the start? Surely you are talking
> about programming, and NOT the news. I mean, I know you
> said the news was OK, buy you're talking about the current
> news, so I won't assume what you must have thought about the
> local news content when KOMA flipped.
>

No the news guys are great... they kept us up to date as to what is going on. I guess the major gripe I had, is they made it so blatently obvious that having Rick Roberts on in the morning makes them sound so out of touch with OKC, they might as well just run a syndicated show. If I was in that chair I would have been talking about the potential impact of the closings, and getting people's reaction, especially those who were losing their jobs that might just be angry or upset enough to call in. That would have made for some compelling radio....

If those news guys were given the chance, if they did a "First News" presentation, it would be great... I would listen every day.

But the truth is, in corporate radio, news is an afterthought. In some markets, you have a newsman (or woman) working a fifteen hour day for $18,000 a year, and then you have a "talent" who spends two-three hours on the air and probably makes three times that, and as in the case of K-OKC mornings, it sounds as if the newsman has more talent than the piped in morning show. If a station would actually budget more money for news departments to bring anchor/reporters above the poverty level, radio would be so much better. But unfortunately they just view news as "one of those things we have to do...."

Yes, Dave Lanning, has bailed. He is going back to the evil empire. Clear Channel at least knows talent and got him back to run their network sports programming.

Dave Lanning is a top notch radio guy and is one of the best in the business on sports, especially OU. He was hired at KOMA because of that knowledge and the idiots who run the place never really let him do what he does best. Now he will have the chance and away from the usual Clear Channel insanity.

Good luck Dave, KOMA/KOKC never knew what it had.....

>
> Rumor has it Dave has bailed out of 1520. Can anyone
> confirm this?
>

> Speaking of programming, I went to the K-OKC website the
> other day (komanews.com is the web address, how funny is
> that?) and was looking at the schedule. Looks like someone
> is trying to please all of the people all of the time, with
> as many different talkers as are on there. Either trying to
> please all the people etc., or just the inability to say no
> to a syndie salesman.

I see that KTOK has moved Beck and Rush to live. What is KOKC doing running Bill O'Reilly against the first hour of Rush? Jerry Doyle in afternoon drive? The problem you speak of is a moronic PD who cowers when TRN tells him to run all of their crap. I've seen this firsthand, how they bully you to clear the crap shows in order to get Savage. It's killing the station.

KTOK is weak from 7-10pm with the dying, boring Tony Snow. There's KOKC, with all the potential that comes with being able to boom in on my coathangers 1,000 miles away, running white bread Rusty Humphries. Imagine, the only show anybody cares about is on from 5-8pm, and you kill your lead out!

I also see that Rick Roberts has been moved out of his old 4-6am shift and is now doing the whole drive. Well, except for the morning tease with Randy Renner. Heck, you could hire a CHR jock for $25k and get a better morning talk show than the blow-dried Rick Roberts.

> I don't know. Tell me if I'm wrong, but it seems that once
> Rush made his influence on AM talk, the standard format for
> a talk show became a 3 hr. show. KOKC has 2 talkers with 3
> hour shifts, but everyone else, Ingrahm, Bruce, Boortz,
> Humphries and Doyle all are given 2 hours. Is there any
> talk station in the country that is succeeding with a
> boatload of 2-hr talkers, and very few 3-hr talkers? If
> there is, I'd love to know about it.

I may be getting names mixed up, but I was friends with a guy who told me that Lan Lanphere had told him he was doing a 1-5am local overnight show. Right guy? What ever happened to that idea? Too good of one?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom