• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

K-Love's TV Commercials Don't Say "Christian"

Some of these bands have actually been struggling with the religion itself. Some members have fallen away in recent years.
This is an overall trend, especially among younger folks, and organizations like the Pew Research Center have published studies and numbers which back that up. Younger generations, even many in their 40s and 50s, realize there's a very big difference between their faith and spirituality, and organized religion. While churches that primarily deliver messages of positivity and personal grown and spend little time being "preachy" are doing well, many of the more traditional religions are losing followers who see them as overly restrictive, judgemental, hypocritical, non-charitable, more interested in rules, policies and dogma rather than simply loving and caring for each other and for better or worse, out of touch with the norms of modern society.
The labels are in a state where they don’t want anything that might stir up controversy. There’s a documentary about this somewhere. They want absolutely nothing controversial. Some Christians might not mind, while others would flip out.
And this also helps explain why some bands and artists are falling away. While I'm sure there are many who are happy to fall in line, others don't want to feel like they're always walking on eggshells or feel they and everyone in their band, and even those who show up at their performances are under constant judgement. Unfortunately there are many in certain sects of Christianity who get too caught up in restrictions, expectations, dogma and judgement, rather than opening their minds and hearts a little, and simply caring about their fellow man. As mentioned above, those types of religions seem to be losing congregants, while organizations which deliver messages of positivity and caring, rather than being "preachy" or judgemental are the ones that are gaining members.

Last edited:
This is an overall trend, especially among younger folks, and organizations like the Pew Research Center have published studies and numbers which back that up. Younger generations, even many in their 40s and 50s, realize there's a very big difference between their faith and spirituality, and organized religion. While churches that primarily deliver messages of positivity and personal grown and spend little time being "preachy" are doing well, many of the more traditional religions are losing followers who see them as overly restrictive, judgemental, hypocritical, non-charitable, more interested in rules, policies and dogma rather than simply loving and caring for each other and for better or worse, out of touch with the norms of modern society.

And this also helps explain why some bands and artists are falling away. While I'm sure there are many who are happy to fall in line, others don't want to feel like they're always walking on eggshells or feel they and everyone in their band, and even those who show up at their performances are under constant judgement. Unfortunately there are many in certain sects of Christianity who get too caught up in restrictions, expectations, dogma and judgement, rather than opening their minds and hearts a little, and simply caring about their fellow man. As mentioned above, those types of religions seem to be losing congregants, while organizations which deliver messages of positivity and caring, rather than being "preachy" or judgemental are the ones that are gaining members.

That happened to some major Christian acts like Jars Of Clay and Avalon. Jars Of Clay openly said they supported gay marriage and were quickly shunned by the labels and a lot of Christian radio stations as a result. The lead male singer of Avalon was gay, so they fired him from the band in 2003. If they didn't, the label probably would have ended their contract. A few of the members of the band who fired him expressed regret and apologized to him about it several years later. Jennifer Knapp and Jonathan Thulin were other gay CCM artists who couldn't handle it anymore. Both of them still make music, I know Jonathan no longer associates with being Christian. Some of these artists still believe in God, but don't want anything to do with the religion part.

Amy Grant on the other hand has been very open about her support for LGBTQ people and is still well loved both among the Christian and secular audience. That said, she doesn't really need to worry about being dropped from the label anymore.

Amy Grant on the other hand has been very open about her support for LGBTQ people and is still well loved both among the Christian and secular audience. That said, she doesn't really need to worry about being dropped from the label anymore.

She's weathered the storm during her pop career, her divorce from her first husband and marriage to Vince Gill. She's bigger than a genre.

I play Amy Grant, classic dcTalk, TobyMac, Kevin Max, Tait, (Michael Tait's Old Band, Before he went to Newsboys) Newsboys (Both Peter Furler and Michael Tait versions), Avalon and Jars of Clay. So far, no one has protested me over it. I even slip in a few of the harder rocking and rap styled tunes too. Some have protested me over it but I'm keeping them in the mix. I want to reach out to all kinds of people here. I would play Jennifer Knapp but due to that one issue, won't be able to.

Dan <><​

Last edited:
That happened to some major Christian acts like Jars Of Clay and Avalon. Jars Of Clay openly said they supported gay marriage and were quickly shunned by the labels and a lot of Christian radio stations as a result. The lead male singer of Avalon was gay, so they fired him from the band in 2003. If they didn't, the label probably would have ended their contract. A few of the members of the band who fired him expressed regret and apologized to him about it several years later. Jennifer Knapp and Jonathan Thulin were other gay CCM artists who couldn't handle it anymore. Both of them still make music, I know Jonathan no longer associates with being Christian. Some of these artists still believe in God, but don't want anything to do with the religion part.

Different group, different type of music and their height of popularity peaked years ago, but the same was true with a number of singers and artists that performed with the Gaither Vocal Band and even appeared in some of the most popular quartets that helped compose the larger GVB group, toured with them and appeared in some of their more popular video releases back in the day. A few were outed or it was found that certain parts of their lives, lifestyles or personalities weren't absolutely in-line with "Christian values" and they were immediately banished rather than the GVB risking making headlines or causing potential controversy. Mind you, they were no less spiritual, they were no less talented with their vocal abilities, they just didn't "measure up to expectations". Others were supposedly known about but they felt forced to do anything and everything they could to keep their personal lives and "preferences" a close secret and in some cases live a lie or constantly pretend to be something they weren't, just so they could continue touring and performing. Really sad in a lot of ways.

I play Amy Grant, classic dcTalk, TobyMac, Kevin Max, Tait, (Michael Tait's Old Band, Before he went to Newsboys) Newsboys (Both Peter Furler and Michael Tait versions), Avalon and Jars of Clay. So far, no one has protested me over it. I even slip in a few of the harder rocking and rap styled tunes too. Some have protested me over it but I'm keeping them in the mix. I want to reach out to all kinds of people here. I would play Jennifer Knapp but due to that one issue, won't be able to.

Dan <><​
Great, make this part of your fee schedule. If they want a certain song removed from WPJB-LP's playlist, the offering to support this great station and make that happen is $XXX.XX. If they want a group to no longer be aired on your station, the donation to achieve that is $XXX.XX. Otherwise if they're only there to criticize and give opinions but not support financially, well....They can sit back and enjoy the station and all its programming.

Last edited:
Not going to bow down to the critics myself. I answer to God first and foremost. I recently gave Him all control over the broadcast. Since doing it, He's been leading me to play more of the singers, songs and songwriters we don't hear on most Christian radio stations. If anyone has issues with the playlist now, going to send them to God and they can discuss their objections with Him.​

Dan <><

P.S. If He wants me to add a few more rock and rap styled tunes, in the future, I intend to do it.

Last edited:
As I recall, some stations dropped her due to her divorce.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom