• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

K-love (or air1's) next target!

What would happen if EMF took over a top radio station for its K-LOVE or Air1 formats? Would they consider Kiss 108, Jamn 94.5, Hot 96.9 or Amp 103.3? Or would they go after Mix 104.1? This is something that may happen some time down the road if they want to cannibalize the Boston airwaves. Any comments?

Highly unlikely to ever happen. The only times EMF has bought a top-rated station were when they were owned by groups who had to spin off stations to stay under ownership caps or when a smaller company decided to cash out and had no one else step up to buy their stations.

EMF pays a price per head (between $13 and $16 usually) in the stations' signal contours, and that's a bad deal when you can sell a top-rated station to another commercial broadcaster for a cash flow multiple. If EMF ever buys a Boston area station, look for it to be a signal like 92.5, 99.1 or 104.9. It won't be Kiss, Jam'N, Hot or Amp, and there's no reason to even ponder it. Jill Stein will be elected President before that happens!

too valuable

What would happen if EMF took over a top radio station for its K-LOVE or Air1 formats? Would they consider Kiss 108, Jamn 94.5, Hot 96.9 or Amp 103.3? Or would they go after Mix 104.1?

I think these stations are too viable and valuable as commercial stations and K-Love could never afford them.

And they could never get a return on their investment running them as religious stations based on donations.

there are some AM's that could be candidates for sale or LMA, but there isn't a Commercial FM in the market, and that includes rim shotters like WBOQ that would not command a lot more money on the open market then EMF could afford.

Every FM in the commercial spectrum is in pretty good shape financially so there is no reason for a fire sale, and that is the only way EMF is getting here...

Cripes look what Beasley just paid for the CP for 106.1 translator .... If EMF could get an AM on the cheap, it would still cost them at least 500K to get a translator, assuming someone was willing to part with one...

I'd add 90.3 and 104.5 to the list of possibilities (though I don't see anything happening in the immediate future). I can't imagine WZBC is really a core asset for Boston College. Meanwhile, Cumulus is trading at 38 cents... and has done some trades with EMF in the past. I'm surprised 104.5 is still trying to be a Worcester station given its coverage in the Boston market. WXLO's intellectual property could move to another Cumulus Worcester station.

Educational Media Foundation, the parent company of K-Love and Air 1, only buys FM stations. Sometimes they are full power, in the commercial band (92-108). Sometimes they are lesser power, rim shot or in the non-commercial band (88-92). But in each case, it's a distress sale.

Last year, EMF bought 106.9 in Hartford, WCCC, with a full Class B signal. But the owner was a stand-alone guy, getting older. (He had owned the station for decades, running it on the cheap, with Howard Stern as his morning host when Howard was beginning his radio career.) The station had gone through several aspects of Rock, Active Rock, Classic Rock, but was doing poorly in the ratings against better run and bigger companies. A similar story centered on 106.9 in Philadelphia. Bad ratings, stand alone operation. I don't think such an FM station exists in Boston.

Yes, there are some rimshot stand-alones mentioned above, 99.1, 104.9, etc. Would Entercom sell off WKAF, figuring the WAAF signal doesn't get that much help from 97.7? It's possible. In NYC, Cox Radio decided to sell off 96.7 which had been a Connecticut based station, after it got FCC permission to move it a bit closer to NYC, making its City of License a community in Westchester. So now some NYC listeners can hear K-Love on that outlet.

But it would have to be that sort of scenario, for K-Love to buy a Boston-area outlet.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom