• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Jon Stewart Returns to The Daily Show on Monday Nights

Comic, writer, and producer Jon Stewart explains on CBS why he's returning to The Daily Show. He says he wants to share his thoughts on the 2024 election. The Daily Show has not had a permanent host since Trevor Noah (whom I really liked) left last year. They've been featuring a series of rotating guest hosts. I really like Jon Stewart also, so I'm interested in what he has to say. He says that Apple TV cancelled him, fearing that he might make negative remarks about China. He'll be appearing on Monday nights only.
Watch CBS Mornings: Jon Stewart on "Daily Show" return - Full show on CBS

Last edited:
Daily Variety gives a mixed review of Jon Stewart's return, saying that Comedy Central is a network which features "increasingly little original programming." ( I like the way Jon Stewart has The Daily Show set up -- he seems very natural and comfortable in the format). I don't think that a show should change its format just for the sake of change - especially late night comedy. ( Saturday Night Live - SNL- has kept the same format for almost 50 years, and so has The Tonight Show, originally conceived by Steve Allen. That's going back aways. -- Daryl

I don't think it really matters. We all know teenagers and people in their 20's aren't consuming media like we used to. Only the generation that grew up with him will tune in now. These days, the kids get all their sound bites and news from YouTube or TikTok clips. Bringing back Stewart will not attract a younger crowd.

Variety:

Jokes at Stewart’s expense helped to dispel the initial awkwardness, but they don’t resolve the fundamental tension underlying everything from the election to Bob Iger’s second stint at Disney to Stewart’s own full-circle moment. We’re at a crossroads where systems are stuck in a loop, running their own expired playbooks to increasingly diminished returns.

Hmm, what other industry can we think of that fits that description?

Jon Stewart’s return to The Daily Show brought Comedy Central its highest ratings in five years​

Jon Stewart’s return to The Daily Show pushed Comedy Central toward a rare ratings success for the network. Nearly one million viewers watched The Daily Show live last night, and a total of 1.85 million watched between the broadcast and its encores, making it the most-watched broadcast on Comedy Central in more than five years.

Back
Top Bottom