• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Joe Lacina and Eddie Hubbard canned by ABC

ABC recently canned Joe Lacina and Eddie Hubbard, DJs formerly heard on the ABC "Timeless Classics" network. Joe Lacina ran "Joe Lacina Presents" and Eddie Hubbard ran "Hubbard's Cupboard", both shows featuring big band music. That means ABC "Timeless Classics" is purely Soft AC, essentially picking up where the defunct Memories "Unforgettable Favorites" network left off. I will miss those big band programs. I sure hope Joe Lacina and Eddie Hubbard find a new home. A good place for Joe Lacina and Eddie Hubbard would be the Dial Global (ex Westwood One) Adult Standards network, which does a good job of balancing Adult Standards with Soft AC.

What a shame, they where both legends, I will miss them and thier programs very much!

It's a tragedy. The only hope I had for hearing any good music at all on ABC's Timeless Classics.

Actually, they still play a lot of good music, but just not the good music I really look for.

I was furious when I heard the garbage they were playing instead of the good stuff. There must be some way we can get that music back through syndication. I did complain about the changes to my local station, and I was told changing the satellite format was not impossible. I should also suggest one of the many big band shows available on radio.

Maybe some other distributor can pick up these two great DJs. I first heard Joe Lacina way back in the 1980s. Now that's when Stardust really sounded good.

Joe and EDddie are both good friends. I worked with them from the inception of the network in Mokena, Il. to our days together in Dallas (all at the Satellite Music/ABC Radio Network. I'm sorry to hear of their demise. ABC dropped me like a bad habit in Aug. of 2005......after 24 years. Both Joe and Eddie are class acts. I wish them all the best

bleonard47 said:
Joe and EDddie are both good friends. I worked with them from the inception of the network in Mokena, Il. to our days together in Dallas (all at the Satellite Music/ABC Radio Network. I'm sorry to hear of their demise. ABC dropped me like a bad habit in Aug. of 2005......after 24 years. Both Joe and Eddie are class acts. I wish them all the best
They were really good. Is there any more you'd like to tell us about who you are? And what's going on with Ron Baxley and Dave Rafferty?

Joe Lacina is a great guy, I remember talking to him on the SMN studio phone back in 1989 when I was PD of WKWF AM. It seemed at the time they always played Herb Alperts Route 101 at the top of the hour alot. He is a class act, I miss the days of the original stardust and music of your life. I was 22 back then. My how time flies :)

I'm also disappointed about Joe and Eddie - they were both gentlemen and great broadcasters and brought something special, and timeless, to their shows. And, it's that touch that made Stardust, and it's other incarnations, special. Too bad.

There's a new show on Saturday evenings hosted by Bud Buschardt that sounds a lot like Eddie Hubbard's old show in the sense of telling the stories behind the songs. Of course the songs seem to be AC/oldies.

I haven't heard what's on Sundays yet.

vchimpanzee said:
There's a new show on Saturday evenings hosted by Bud Buschardt that sounds a lot like Eddie Hubbard's old show in the sense of telling the stories behind the songs. Of course the songs seem to be AC/oldies.

Are you refering to Timeless/Stardust? or another program? I thought Scott Reese was filling in for Joe Lacina's time slot? I do not listen Saturday evening any longer since Joe's departure.

Famous56guy said:
vchimpanzee said:

Are you refering to Timeless/Stardust? or another program? I thought Scott Reese was filling in for Joe Lacina's time slot? I do not listen Saturday evening any longer since Joe's departure.
Me either, but I tune in just to see what's happening. Actually, last Saturday there was basketball.

The first time I tuned in after Joe Lacina was dropped, Laurie Bandemir was on and she played "Meet Me Halfway" by Kenny Loggins. Which is a song so bad I wanted to throw my radio out the window.

Passing of Eddie Hubbard

Sad to report, as mentioned on the Dallas board, Eddie Hubbard died this past week, the victim of a car accident. His wife survived and is recuperating.

www.eddiehubbard.com

Eddie has an interesting and fascinating history dating back 40+ years to Chicago as well as with ABC in Dallas and with "Hubbard's Cupboard" Sunday evenings on "Legends 770 - KAAM" in Garland/Dallas/Ft. Worth.

Be sure to "Google" Eddie's name for more fascinating history, including a movie and a movie/tv star connection.

There are many Eddie Hubbard fans on this board and, as one, Eddie will be deeply missed.

Condolences to his famil, his many radio friends and loyal listeners.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom