• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Jock Now Works Full Time Programming HD Radio Station

According to an article in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, a DJ who had a mid-day shift on Emmis' KIHTS FM, has been asked by management to spend his time instead programming the HD2 channel on nearby KSHE. It has what he described as a "Free form classic rock" format. Apparently the jock, known as Radio Rich Dalton, had a lot of experience with the AOR programming of the past.
Says Dalton, " I may be the only person in the U.S. working full-time at programming HD radio."
It seems interesting that according to the article, WSHE HD2 has attracted underwriters, similar to one of the ways that NPR stations get support for their programs.
Hopefully there will be more efforts like this made by broadcasters for their HD2's, instead of neglected channels such as WWFS HD2 in NYC, which is still looping Christmas music towards the end of January.

St. Louis Newspaper Article: http://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/...cle_a9b3619b-895e-5e39-aafd-ed13e12997be.html

Too bad they don't stream online: http://www.kshe95.com/HighDefinition/index.aspx

I was noticing that the KESZ 99.9 HD2 feed last night seemed to be hosted by a live jock (female). It could have been VT'd - next time I will pay closer attention - but it was the first time I think I've noticed an apparent live host on an HD signal.

That's pretty cool. I remember St. Louis being a great market for HD subchannels as far as reception and programming went. It was more diverse than most markets I'd sampled up to that point.

If they're smart, though, they will start streaming that format. I think it would do really well online and attract more advertisers. "Listen online at home & work, listen to KSHE-HD2 on the go." It would sell some radios, I bet.

Maybe that person was under contract so instead of firing him, they relegate him to programming an HD2 that doesn't even stream. As far as the advertisers are concerned, they're being duped because the HD2 is a no show in the ratings.

Unless the HD2 is about to get on a translator soon, it's not worth paying someone to only program an HD2.

By the way, WWFS-HD2 is still playing Christmas music at the end of January. I don't even see Christmas lights on houses anymore.

Nick said:
Maybe that person was under contract so instead of firing him, they relegate him to programming an HD2 that doesn't even stream. As far as the advertisers are concerned, they're being duped because the HD2 is a no show in the ratings.

Unless the HD2 is about to get on a translator soon, it's not worth paying someone to only program an HD2.

By the way, WWFS-HD2 is still playing Christmas music at the end of January. I don't even see Christmas lights on houses anymore.

Yes, there has to be a logical reason why radio would waste money like that. :D

Nick said:
As far as the advertisers are concerned, they're being duped because the HD2 is a no show in the ratings.

In a top 100 market, an HD channel could draw hundreds or thousands of listeners. In our market (low 80s), there is a club dedicated to the NPR station's classical music format. They claim over 1000 (dues paying) members and have a considerable chest of money with which they are trying to buy a translator to bring the format back to analog. Still, they listen to the HD2 channel quite extensively. The point is that advertising or underwriting can be effective for a business, even if there are only a few hundred dedicated listeners that will support the advertiser. The HD channel may be a way to tap into revenue from smaller shops that cannot afford to buy time on the main channel. If people line up at the shop, then the campaign was effective, regardless of the size of the total audience pool.

Nick said:

No more so than an Internet streamer whose loyal listening audience measures far below OTA numbers. If the audience is one that an advertiser wants to target it may be worth buying spots on HD2.

Nick said:

I dunno.....how much would it cost to have a PD (not necessarily a big name) program a niche HD2 signal? Especially if the same physical person was already doing a main signal?

Nick said:

You are missing a light show. Guy behind me still has his showing and glowing. ;D

See, now, that's the thing - okay, maybe people are busy on weekends and can't get their lights taken down. But why oh why do they keep them lit?

(And no fair adding a couple of red Valentine's Day hearts - you're not foolin' me one bit.)

Hey, I actually took down my Xmas lites, but I DID put red lights on one tree and white lites on the other tree. In March it will be green and white. It's just too dark in the winter without outside lights!
It improves DXing having my outdoor 'antenna' light wires too!

People 'round here take their lights down in reasonable time, but they do leave their Christmas trees up until Fat Tuesday. After Christmas, they decorate them as Mardi Gras trees!

(Mardi Gras trees do not make for better DX, though, and no one runs Mardi Gras music on an HD-2, although it would be cool if they did. Laissez les bons temps rouler!)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom