• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

JEOPARDY! CHANGE IN PRIZE ALLOTMENTS

Well, I noticed this for the first time a couple of weeks ago when over the credits a v/o announced "our second place contestant will receive two thousand dollars. our third place contestant will receive one thousand dollars." Wow! You mean a big show like Jeopardy which rakes in b-u-n-d-l-e-s has to cut back? They're not making "enough" money???Really? The other night the 2nd place finisher had 10k or so but only was allowed 2k. Seems like they should be able to keep what they "earned." This stinks like yesterday's diapers.

No change in prizes. The voice over and indication of the prizes on the scoreboards as the credits run is a change, but since they stopped doing prized for second & third place some number of years ago, it's been $2,000/$1,000. This version in all its run has not ever had the second & third place contestants in regular games keep their winnings. ::)

imhomerjay said:
No change in prizes. The voice over and indication of the prizes on the scoreboards as the credits run is a change, but since they stopped doing prized for second & third place some number of years ago, it's been $2,000/$1,000. This version in all its run has not ever had the second & third place contestants in regular games keep their winnings. ::)

May 16, 2002 was the last day of the prizes.

For as long as I can remember, Jeopardy has given $1000 to the third place finisher, $2000 to the second place finisher. Why not let them keep their winnings if they amass more than that? The theory is some players who already have built up a lot of cash might simply sit on the money they already won and not wager enough to beat the leader. That would make Final Jeopardy less dramatic.

By the way, it was about 10 years ago that Jeopardy doubled the money for each correct question in the wake of Who Wants to Be A Millionaire in both the Jeopardy and Double Jeopardy rounds. But they've kept all the cash amounts the same since then.

In terms of winnings, it still seems Millionaire gives out the biggest prizes. And Millionaire, while quite successful, usually runs in the daytime, not early fringe as Jeopardy and Wheel do. I haven't watched the new season yet but most contestants on the syndicated Millionaire show win about $15,000 and almost never go home with less than $5000. Wheel is second in earnings and Jeopardy is third because of that rule that runners-up only get $1000 to $2000. Runners up in Wheel keep their cash with a $1000 minimum. And on Millionaire you don't have to compete against anyone else and you decide when to quit. (I won $16,000 on Millionaire a few years ago.)

Gregg
[email protected]

Millionaire's new rules mean the safety net is more like $1,000 vs $5,000 now, and it remains to be seen over a long stretch how the idea of walking with half of your bank (anywhere in the first 10 questions) will raise or lower prizes.

All of that said, Jeopardy will typically award in the $10-20K range roughly each day (plus the minimum guarantee for the runners up), while for an average player to reach that level on Millionaire, with its pacing, teneded to take up the better part of an episode. On individual days you might have a wide variance, but taking the long view, they're probably not far apart. Millionaire might be a safer bet for a contestant in that you have a good chance of not walking out with just $1,000 if you don't make a mistake (or take an unwise gamble) but the draw of potentially limitless winnings on Jeopardy makes it appealing (paging Ken Jennings).

Frankly, Wheel gives away solid money. No, the bonus isn't won each day, but they often have ~$20K winners without the bonus, let alone when they do have a winner.

My memory isn't perfect...but as I remember, the 2nd and 3rd place finishers have never been allowed to keep what they earned in the Trebek era. If I remember correctly, they were able to keep the dollar amount of their winnings in the original (Art Fleming) version on NBC.

The logic is - if they know they can't keep their winnings, they'll be more bold in answering - they'll take more chances - and more bold in betting on Final Jeopardy - since they have nothing (or not much, anyway) to lose.

As any Jeopardy viewer knows, it's very typical for one of the three contestants to be far superior to the other two, and post an easy victory. But if the rules are such that the second and third place finishers lose nothing by taking some chances - the game is a bit more exciting.

Correct---this version never had the 2nd & 3rd place winners keep their totals (special rules for tournaments notwithstanding).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom