• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

It's Official: Cox Radio Was Sold

There was some speculation about this company buying the radio group when TV was purchased. A lot of the conversation was about Apollo trying to squeeze more out of the properties by cutting cost. For the Atlanta radio group, any idea what that will look like?

Cost cutting, no doubt. WSB TV and radio is the only station combo I know of that flies two different news choppers, sometimes at the same time. Everybody else in town shares one. Sure having two comes in handy at times but those birds cost a fortune to fly. I'd bet they sell off the traffic chopper.

Personally, as I have zero attachment to White Columns, I can see them selling that as prime land. TV and radio doesn't need such a fancy and valuable location. Jacor/Clear Channel/iHeart ran for years from the Building of Death. That strikes me as just the sort of thing the new owners will be thinking about.

Cost cutting, no doubt. WSB TV and radio is the only station combo I know of that flies two different news choppers, sometimes at the same time. Everybody else in town shares one. Sure having two comes in handy at times but those birds cost a fortune to fly. I'd bet they sell off the traffic chopper.

Personally, as I have zero attachment to White Columns, I can see them selling that as prime land. TV and radio doesn't need such a fancy and valuable location. Jacor/Clear Channel/iHeart ran for years from the Building of Death. That strikes me as just the sort of thing the new owners will be thinking about.

You might be right. Who knows? But, WSB-TV has dominated this market for many years. Staying on top means having great people, top equipment and facilities that people feel good about working in.

Same with radio; Cox has some excellent, top-rated stations. Apollo is going to have to continue that commitment for the stations to stay on top. As the old saying goes, it takes money to make money.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom