• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

It's Christmas on the radio

I tuned in around 1am on Thursday, K was Christmas and Lake was still regular format. These two stations monitor each other. As soon as one goes the other follows.

I tuned in around 1am on Thursday, K was Christmas and Lake was still regular format. These two stations monitor each other. As soon as one goes the other follows.
Does it really work that way? I would think Christmas flips are planned well in advance, not started on moment's notice because some other station flips. Sounds more like fanboy fantasy radio than the real thing, but then, I'm not in the business.

Usually, you don't want your competition to get a head start. I guess the theory is, if someone who likes Christmas music starts hearing it on your competitor, maybe that's where their radio tuner will stay through the holiday season.

But some stations, especially the ones that are usually the Christmas music leader in the market, will stick to their original timetables.

Interesting. I went to the college I graduated from, something I've done on Veterans Day for years, but because of Nicole I went early. As long as my Internet doesn't go out, no problem. Before I had a computer, theirs was the only library I could go to.

So I got lunch and instead of eating it where I got it, I ate in the building where the basketball team plays and there was a blood drive. Whether this was normal or not, The Lake was playing. "Lights" was followed by "Cruel Summer", so no change yet.

Does it really work that way? I would think Christmas flips are planned well in advance, not started on moment's notice because some other station flips. Sounds more like fanboy fantasy radio than the real thing, but then, I'm not in the business.
Yes, you would think, that does sound logical. I worked at K from 2005-2007. It's been going on that long. K had a false start once the word came down to go Christmas. It was all set, only to have a knee jerk reaction and decision to continue regular format a bit longer. It made extra work for the folks doing the music.

The prevailing thinking is the station that goes Christmas first, wins Christmas.

Yep..that is how it works...it's loaded and ready to go...one goes, the other follows..

The prevailing thinking is the station that goes Christmas first, wins Christmas.
More than that, it is the station that has a tradition of "going Christmas" that gets the best response.

Now there are three stations in Charlotte playing Christmas music.

K-104.7 played two versions of "Jingle Bells" back to back, by the way.

After seven seasons of not doing it, it appears WSAT/WEGO has decided to go all-Christmas. Both are AM and WEGO at least can be heard in parts of Charlotte during the day. Before there was a WEGO simulcast, WSAT could be heard in the unversity area during the day. The translator is at 98.3, which I believe is H.I.S. Radio in Charlotte but used to have a billboard with its translators listed right in the middle of where 98.3 is WEGO.

Four stations now. 63 Big WAYS is the most traditional but even they have Chuck Berry and The Beach Boys, both of which I could do without this time of year. Any other time, I welcome both of them, but they just don't sound right playing music about Christmas, which is different from Christmas music.

Big WAYS sounds about the same musically the rest of the year, unlike the ACs and the oldies station. There's more rock and roll when it's not Christmas, but it's close to being like an adult standards station.

Drove to Statesville Saturday and listened to 63 Big WAYS. really like their Christmas music. Heard "Gee Whiz It's Christmas" by Carla Thomas, two Elvis tunes, nice variety. and yes it is close to being like an adult standards station at the moment.

Drove to Statesville Saturday and listened to 63 Big WAYS. really like their Christmas music. Heard "Gee Whiz It's Christmas" by Carla Thomas, two Elvis tunes, nice variety. and yes it is close to being like an adult standards station at the moment.
It's always close to being an adult standards station. The only thing missing is the actual standards.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom