• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Is rhythmic AC the new Rhythmic Dance concept

• Thread starter Mid West Clubber
  • Start date
M

Mid West Clubber

It seems many former rhythmic ACs are now current based while mixing in some current dance. Makes some of them hard to distinguish from Regular Rhythmic CHRs.

Yeah, I like both approaches, but I kind of miss the original sound that many of the Clear Channel rhythmic ACs first signed on with. Seems like "105.7 The Groove" in Atlanta, and "106.7 The Beat" Detroit have moved more towards that current sound and away from the original mix of disco, freestyle, 90s dance, current CHR that they signed on as. My favorite rhythmic AC's at the moment are probably "93-9 MIA" Miami and "Z100" Ft. Myers, because both still play a good bit of freestyle and gold mixed in. I hope they stay that way. But who knows, it seems like Clear Channel is experimenting with which way to lean a lot of their rhythmic ACs. While the Atlanta and Detroit stations have gone more current, they've recently moved other rhythmic ACs (notably "98.1 Kiss FM" San Francisco and "My 106.1" Philadelphia) back to more of a gold based rhythmic format with more 70s and urban stuff. ::)

Thnks for bringing MIA to my attention, I had never listened to this station before But this is how Rhythm ic AC should sound.. Since this is now my favorite rhythmic AC, do you have any suggestions of other rhythmic ACs I should Check out. I also like KTU but I consider them more Dance/Rhythmic than Rhythmic AC.... You rock BRH.... ;)

Mid West Clubber said:
Thnks for bringing MIA to my attention, I had never listened to this station before But this is how Rhythm ic AC should sound.. Since this is now my favorite rhythmic AC, do you have any suggestions of other rhythmic ACs I should Check out. I also like KTU but I consider them more Dance/Rhythmic than Rhythmic AC.... You rock BRH.... ;)

My next favorite rhythmic AC would be WZJZ "Z100" in Ft. Myers, FL. (www.movetoZ100.com). Musically, they are very similar to "93-9 MIA" in Miami. (a heavy dose of that famous FL freestyle, along with a good mix of disco, 90s dance, and today's rhythmic hits). That's one reason, I like these two stations so much. They cover the whole spectrum and don't lean to far towards all currents (like Groove Atlanta) or too far towards R&B gold and jammin oldies (like My 106.1 Philly and 98.1 Kiss San Fran.). Another really good one that sounded similar was KSYU "The New 95-1" Albuquerque, but Clear Channel just flipped them to mainstream AC about 2 weeks ago. :(

Another station I actually like quite a bit (even though they aren't technically rhythmic AC) is Bonneville's WILV "Chicago's 100.3" (www.wilv.com). They are kind of a rhythmic AC/adult hits hybrid. They play a lot of rhythmic titles but also throw in fun uptempo rock based tunes too. It's an unusual mix, but it works and has a good vibe. (They also do a similar rhythmic AC/adult hits format on sister station WREW "Rewind 94.9" Cincinnati, but I don't think they are quite as good as WILV). They are mostly gold based (80s with some 90s, 70s, and 2K), but for some reason, I really like their odd, uptempo mix.

Other rhythmic AC's that I like musically, would be WMVN "Movin' 100.3 & 96.5"Syracuse (www.movin100.com), and KKBA "92.7 K-Bay" Corpus Christi (although they still don't stream online). As far as former rhythmic ACs, I really loved Memphis's WSNA "Snap 94-1". They had a great mix of dance leaning music, and really fun Mark Driscoll sweepers. Too bad their ratings were always horrible though. (But I blame that on the Memphis market. Seems like nothing pop based ever works there).

My 106.1 in philly is not too bad, they play some freestyle too,
If only a Rhythmic AC like 93.9 MIA was launched in San Francisco instead of a movin station, then a station like that would still be around, movin didn't play enough freestlye when they started

I don't think so. Even if Rhythmic ACs have recently become more contemporary they are still much more conservative in adding new music compared to the Dance CHRs of the past.

MOViN 100 from Syracuse is my favorite hands down. GREAT currents and the best recurrent/gold mix I've seen. Too bad they're not streaming anymore unless you're in Syracuse.

Rhythmic AC is more of a Jammin' Oldies retread. An attempt to be a churban/crossover/dance CHR for the people who grew up on those types of stations in the 80s and/or a disco station. Tough sell nowadays, especially since the height of popularity of those formats were very distinct time periods (77-80 and 86-90) instead of a more continuous historical musical context. Also the musical focus is often very limited. Don't get me started on the short playlists and shallow libraries.

The playlist for "Z100" in Ft. Myers is the same as "93.9 MIA". Just FYI.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom