• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Is Mix 102.7 the Next Jammin' 105?

I was listening to "Mix 102.7" and it was great. They played some good jammin' oldies like the way "Jammin' 105" did 8 years ago. I remember "Jammin' 105" where they used to play jammin' oldies as well as "Rhythm 94.3" in the Hudson Valley played the same thing until 2001. That was the thread I saw on the NYRMB about jammin' oldies coming back.

Discuss.

Look for 102.7 return to sum form of rock ( Active Rock or Alt. Rock ) format . Dont say you didnt hear it from me .

disney fanatic said:
That was the thread I saw on the NYRMB about jammin' oldies coming back.

I've noticed this too lately with Mix leaning extra-gold in their music selection. The other day, I heard "It's Too Late to Turn Back Now" (by Brother and Sister Rose or something like that) as well as a Supreme's song on Mix...I thought they've finally flipped to oldies and abandon that train wreck of a format.

I think that "oldies" is still popular. It's music that we all are familiar with and has a wide appeal. Look at TV commercials and soundtracks for movies - alot of the time you will hear oldies (60s & 70s hits) because of the familiarity. I think that's why Mix is now including this in their music because of the familiarity and mass appeal.

Then again, just yesterday, I heard a Phil Collins song on Mix...I thought they have finally transitioned back to mainstream AC, but that would make too much sense given that Lite FM is all Christmas! Again, their lack of focus and need to have an "everything to everyone" type of music format is costing them ratings.

rapking said:
Look for 102.7 return to sum form of rock ( Active Rock or Alt. Rock ) format . Dont say you didnt hear it from me .

I highly doubt that since CBS (which owns Mix) also owns talk/quasi-rocker Free FM. Why would they want 2 stations in the same market with similar formats? Also, isn't NYC not a rock town anyway (proclaimed by many posters on this board)?

I heard them play Dan Hartman's "I Can Dream About You" the other day. Nothing really Jammin oldies about that, but it's certainly an AC cut. I also heard Phil Collins as well. Maybe they are planning a transition towards an AC direction, but they've gotta be less subtle than this if they hope to actually attract an audience.

As for rock coming back on 102.7...no way. If CBS really wants to bring back rock on the airwaves in NYC, they'll probably tweak/reimage Jack on 101.1, which already has a heavy dose of (older) rock, or ditch talk altogether on 92.3 if Free FM's ratings continue to be dismal. Then again, you never really know what they'll end up doing over at CBS. I am pretty sure, however, that oldies won't come back (even if I do agree that the format can appeal to a broader audience including younger listeners, if done properly).

rapking said:

Rapking has no idea what he is talking about. And you DID hear that from me!

;D

Kevin said:
We all know rock isn't returning to 102.7. That's like saying oldies is returning to WCBS-FM!

::)

YOU MEAN,....IT ISN'T?

:eek:

DAMN YOU!.... DAMN YOU ALL TO HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

neo11 said:
I heard them play Dan Hartman's "I Can Dream About You" the other day. Nothing really Jammin oldies about that, but it's certainly an AC cut. I also heard Phil Collins as well. Maybe they are planning a transition towards an AC direction, but they've gotta be less subtle than this if they hope to actually attract an audience.

As for rock coming back on 102.7...no way. If CBS really wants to bring back rock on the airwaves in NYC, they'll probably tweak/reimage Jack on 101.1, which already has a heavy dose of (older) rock, or ditch talk altogether on 92.3 if Free FM's ratings continue to be dismal. Then again, you never really know what they'll end up doing over at CBS. I am pretty sure, however, that oldies won't come back (even if I do agree that the format can appeal to a broader audience including younger listeners, if done properly).

I love Mix but pleeeeeeease get rid of the [EDIT] in the morning. What an attitude!

[EDIT-offensive content]

I saw in the NYRMB that there maybe a format change is underway. And that's the reason maybe that WNEW have no livestream online yet...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom