• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Is flipping to Spanish harmful for America?

talktalktalk said:
I see the spread of Spanish only radio stations to be harmful for America.
I would love to get what others are thinking about this subject. Am I the only one who cares?
To read more on what I think you can visit here:http://bloggingunitedstates.typepad.com/usa/2007/01/spanish_radio_m.html

The reason any audience group gets served, whether it is Regional Mexican in Spanish or Jazz in English, is that there is perceived to be enough people interested in such a format to make it possible to sell advertising and make money.

When there is not enough audience, the format goes away.

Hi David,

Thank you for your response.javascript:void(0); I understand the economics behind these moves. The question is if it's harmful to America
in the long run? The English language is the glue that helps all Americans bond together.

Let's take a hypothetical scenario: What if terrestrial radio stations are purchased from some super-rich oil sheiks. The programming
is now in Arabic. They can support the station with their deep-pockets, without any advertising support. Are there laws on the books
to stop this?

What I want to hear from people is whether they think it could be harmful for America. What do you think?

talktalktalk said:
Let's take a hypothetical scenario: What if terrestrial radio stations are purchased from some super-rich oil sheiks. The programming is now in Arabic. They can support the station with their deep-pockets, without any advertising support. Are there laws on the books to stop this?

What are they doing that's illegal? As long as they aren't breaking any FCC rules with their license, they can put on whatever format they'd like.

What I want to hear from people is whether they think it could be harmful for America. What do you think?

I don't think so. As David started to mention, these formats are typically put on to serve an audience in that local market. If we want to be a welcoming country of many cultures, and religions, then having various language formats on the air supports that cause.

talktalktalk said:
I see the spread of Spanish only radio stations to be harmful for America.
I would love to get what others are thinking about this subject. Am I the only one who cares?
To read more on what I think you can visit here:http://bloggingunitedstates.typepad.com/usa/2007/01/spanish_radio_m.html

Did you just wake up from a long sleep over the past 20 years or you do you live in some rural part of Idaho. Hispanics are the fastest growing minority in the U.S. In the next 20 years 30% of U.S. population growth will occur in Hispanic Communty. Hispanics prefer to speak Spanish -- just like people in Quebec prefer French. Switzerland has three national languages -- Italian, German, and French. It's not just radio where you will hear Spanish language programming. There are two multi-billion dollar Spanish TV broadcast networks -- Univision and Telemundo. There a few dozen cable channels. There are two daily newspapers in Los Angerles with circulation over 400M -- The LA Times in English and La Opinon in Spanish. No it is not "harmful to America." (only bigotted opinions like yours.) It just took radio longer than other media to get the message.

For much of American history, Germans were the largest immigrant group.
There were German language newspapers in many large cities but ultimately Germans learned English.

I'd hesitate to cite Canada as model. Bilingualism is a failed experiment - and an expensive one. More than anything, it's been divisive. It worked much better when Quebec spoke French and the rest of the country spoke English. Canada might be far better off had the Brits made English the official language in Quebec in 1760, as the Americans did in the Northwest and Louisiana territories.

The basic question is: Does a nation need a common language? Does a national identity require some degree of assimilation of homogeneity?

If your answer is "yes," than Spanish radio is harmful.
If you think this doesn't matter, then Spanish radio is good business.

For much of American history, Germans were the largest immigrant group.
There were German language newspapers in many large cities but ultimately Germans learned English.

I'd hesitate to cite Canada as model. Bilingualism is a failed experiment - and an expensive one. More than anything, it's been divisive.

This quote from "Fred Flintstone" hit the nail on the head. The Germans ultimately learned English and assimilated into
this culture. Mr.Flinstone also understood my point about the English language is the glue that bonds all of us together. I feel it
is divisive in the long run. I don't care if the language was Klingon, I'd still think it was bad for our country. We're suppose to be a "Melting Pot".

Now for you Baroosk:
Did you just wake up from a long sleep over the past 20 years or you do you live in some rural part of Idaho.
No, I'm wide awake.
Why are you attacking the people of Idaho? Do you loathe all people who live in rural parts of the country? By the way, I live in New York.
Then you go on to attack me and call me a biggot.
No it is not "harmful to America." (only bigotted opinions like yours
It is you who is the intolerant one. I'm trying to have an intelligent debate and all you can do is attack. Since I'm from New York, I know your type all too well. If someone has a different oppinion than yours, you go straight for personal attacks. Very predictable. If you can only resort to name calling, leave your comments to yourself.

I had a Spanish teacher (required class in middle school) who refered to America as the great Salad Bowl instead of a melting pot.

She continued to explain how her parents had encouraged English-speaking in her home in Arizona in the 50s. But the times had changed to the point that she regularly converses with her children in Spanish to make sure that "a tomato is still a tomato".

At least in this case, she feels it has become more acceptable in this country to not assimilate, which could be divisive in the future. But it isn't #1 on my list of divisive issues - maybe #4 or so.

Oy Vey! Hand me the lariat so we can lasso this idée

The plain facts are these:

To succeed outside of an insular community in the US (ie. "Chinatown", "Little Havana", "Little Berlin", etc.), you must be able to communicate in English. In fact, English has become the most common language used in both business and travel around the world.

Although there is no "official" language of the United States, most proceedings in the public, governmental, and business sectors are conducted in English. Anyone who cannot speak the language is at a severe disadvantage. Anyone who cannot speak English well is at significant economic disadvantage. We do have enclaves where public proceedings are conducted in the language of the majority of local citizens, but translation into English is generally required for the outcome of those proceedings to be filed with other levels of government, or to enter the public record.

Does this mean that radio stations that broadcast in another language are harmful? I don't think so. We have a significant population of citizens who do not speak English well enough to understand information from the mainstream media. In fact, one of the dangers is the control of information by non-English outlets with an agenda that warps the presentation of ideas. Multiple non-English media outlets with differing points of view is a bonus, not a negative.

Usually, within a generation, people are at least bi-lingual, and within a couple of generations English is the dominant language. The only way to assure this would be to create an American version of L'Académie Française to protect the "purity" of American English. I can think of nothing that would be less American.

barooosk said:
Did you just wake up from a long sleep over the past 20 years or you do you live in some rural part of Idaho. Hispanics are the fastest growing minority in the U.S. In the next 20 years 30% of U.S. population growth will occur in Hispanic Communty. Hispanics prefer to speak Spanish

... in the first generation. After that, it is mostly English.

It's not just radio where you will hear Spanish language programming. There are two multi-billion dollar Spanish TV broadcast networks -- Univision and Telemundo.

And Telefutura, TV Azteca and Galavision.

There a few dozen cable channels.

Of which all but a half dozen come from Latin America, not the US:

There are two daily newspapers in Los Angerles with circulation over 400M -- The LA Times in English and La Opinon in Spanish.

La Opinion has a circulation of about 85 thousand on its best day... LA Times is over a million.

DavidEduardo said:
La Opinion has a circulation of about 85 thousand on its best day... LA Times is over a million.

From the La Opinion website

La Opinión is the leading Spanish-language daily newspaper in the U.S. with an audited circulation of 125,624 copies, which is sold throughout the five-county Southern California area and reaches over 495,000 readers everyday. La Opinión was founded in Los Angeles in 1926 to provide daily news and information to a Hispanic population that has grown to become the nation's largest. We are proud to celebrate our 80th anniversary this year.

talktalktalk said:
Hi David,

Thank you for your response.javascript:void(0); I understand the economics behind these moves. The question is if it's harmful to America
in the long run? The English language is the glue that helps all Americans bond together.

Let's take a hypothetical scenario: What if terrestrial radio stations are purchased from some super-rich oil sheiks. The programming
is now in Arabic. They can support the station with their deep-pockets, without any advertising support. Are there laws on the books
to stop this?

In response to your hypothetical scenario, I'd like to point out that said super-rich oil sheiks would only be able to purchase radio stations if they were Americans. The FCC has a very clear policy about this.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom