• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Is Fall still an important Ratings Book in NYC ?

Or is there still a fall book in NYC Radio ? I ask because there are a lot of Hosts/Jocks/Personalities taking off when I’ve never seen anyone take time off before. John Fox -Race Taylor-Karen Carson (just to name a few) Years ago Fall was an important ratings period. No one took time off. Have things changed ?

I think someone will say they arent.
Z100 is lucky cause they promote jingle ball.
But i think spring is still the most important.
Ironic since its the worst season & its not even close.

I think someone will say they arent.
Z100 is lucky cause they promote jingle ball.
But i think spring is still the most important.
Ironic since its the worst season & its not even close.
Maybe down in tornado and football country it is, but up here, we look forward to spring, which means milder weather and baseball.

Or is there still a fall book in NYC Radio ? I ask because there are a lot of Hosts/Jocks/Personalities taking off when I’ve never seen anyone take time off before. John Fox -Race Taylor-Karen Carson (just to name a few) Years ago Fall was an important ratings period. No one took time off. Have things changed ?
Chances are if you asked any GM they'd say every book is important. From a realistic standpoint, new agency ad business start to slow down in the fall, remain slow through first of the year, then pick up when new budgets kick in January. Consumers are starting winter vacations and the holidays are a good time to give premiere talent time off.

There is no “Fall” book in New York and has not been one for about the last 26 years. The PPM comes out “monthly” every 4 weeks, 13 times a year. There are no combined mounts, no rolling averages.

The short answer is no. The "fall book" ended when PPMs began 15 years ago. Now there are "rolling" ratings that basically don't stop.
But they are not a ”rolling average” of more than 4 weeks, 13 times a year. And, actually, each “book” is an average of 4 discreet weeks which subscribers can see 52 times a year.
They are reported in monthlies. But subscribers see them continually.
In fact, full subscribers can see them down to the day and hour. But each of the 13 books is discreet. There is no rolling average of, let’s say, the first week of May and the last thre e weeks of April, although the numbers can be “calculated” in any period you like.

Stations can get weeklies if that is in their contract. Agencies generally only get the 13 individual monthlies, but most use software to average 4, 6, 8 months… often skipping December and Holiday. They average because they know that the normal margin of error of ratings makes single books much less precise.
Fall and spring are probably more important in TV.
Agreed. Likely tradition based on when first run shows are shown, with Summer not being important. All that has changed, with the decline in English language network viewing being so severe and the irregular schedules of cable nets and the growth of on demand. The Spanish networks, though, are vastly les seasonal… likely in part because the country of origin of most viewers has no seasons.

The short answer is no. The "fall book" ended when PPMs began 15 years ago. Now there are "rolling" ratings that basically don't stop. They are reported in monthlies. But subscribers see them continually.

Fall and spring are probably more important in TV.
Heck, even an increasing number of diary markets are going to monthly books instead of Fall/Winter/Summer/Spring books.

Heck, even an increasing number of diary markets are going to monthly books instead of Fall/Winter/Summer/Spring books.
Not really. What the "continuous measurement" diary markets have done is issue a full report each month that covers the prior 12 weeks of measurement. The only change is that the former "trend" report which was unweighted pieces of two separate 3-month "books" is now a weighted report.

So, instead of 4 weighted quarterly reports and 8 unweighted trends, we now have 12 weighted 12-week reports which include 8 duplicated past weeks and 4 "new" weeks.

The Fall/Winter/Summer/Spring books are now Oct-Nov-Dec (December book), Jul-Aug-Sep (Fall book), Jan-Feb-Mar (Winter book) and Apr-May-Jun (Spring Book).

Not really. What the "continuous measurement" diary markets have done is issue a full report each month that covers the prior 12 weeks of measurement. The only change is that the former "trend" report which was unweighted pieces of two separate 3-month "books" is now a weighted report.

So, instead of 4 weighted quarterly reports and 8 unweighted trends, we now have 12 weighted 12-week reports which include 8 duplicated past weeks and 4 "new" weeks.

The Fall/Winter/Summer/Spring books are now Oct-Nov-Dec (December book), Jul-Aug-Sep (Fall book), Jan-Feb-Mar (Winter book) and Apr-May-Jun (Spring Book).
I didn’t consider that. Thanks for the correction.

I didn’t consider that. Thanks for the correction.
I always worry that I will appear "didactic" or worse when explaining these things, but I try to keep in mind that a majority of the participants here are listeners, not radio professionals. I like to think that, if a person is interested enough to join this group that they will like to know "how the sausage is made".

Thanks for letting me know my comment was informative.

Back
Top Bottom