• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Is anybody awake out there??

Aloha from Florida. Our local boards are burning up over the most recent rounds of layoffs, "repeater" stations, and all the wierdness going on in radio in general. I even read about the fate of my friend Dick Wainwright, B Rock Whaley, and others who came after I departed Hawaii. I flipped over to the Hawaii board expecting to see some lava spewing but lo and behold the last post was from back in January!

C'mon guys, surely someone has something to say! Sometimes its just good to vent a little. I dont want to stir up any kaka but I spent a lot of good times on K-POI (the real one on AM 1380, yes I was a Poi Boy down on the Ala Wai) and later at KKUA (the real one on AM 690 transmitting from Kewalo Basin) with great people like Tom Moffat, Steve Nicolet, Michael W Perry, Lou Richards, and too many others to mention. Just last week I was reminscing with another former Hawaii jock who looked back on those days as having "more fun than a human being should be allowed to have"! Unfortunately I dont think many of us can say the same thing about radio today.

So, maybe this post will sit un-noticed for a few months, but it did feel good to vent a little! I miss Hawaii, and my heart goes out to Dick and everyone affected by these cuts.

Nostalgia said:
Aloha from Florida. Our local boards are burning up over the most recent rounds of layoffs, "repeater" stations, and all the wierdness going on in radio in general. I even read about the fate of my friend Dick Wainwright, B Rock Whaley, and others who came after I departed Hawaii. I flipped over to the Hawaii board expecting to see some lava spewing but lo and behold the last post was from back in January!

C'mon guys, surely someone has something to say! Sometimes its just good to vent a little. I dont want to stir up any kaka but I spent a lot of good times on K-POI (the real one on AM 1380, yes I was a Poi Boy down on the Ala Wai) and later at KKUA (the real one on AM 690 transmitting from Kewalo Basin) with great people like Tom Moffat, Steve Nicolet, Michael W Perry, Lou Richards, and too many others to mention. Just last week I was reminscing with another former Hawaii jock who looked back on those days as having "more fun than a human being should be allowed to have"! Unfortunately I dont think many of us can say the same thing about radio today.

So, maybe this post will sit un-noticed for a few months, but it did feel good to vent a little! I miss Hawaii, and my heart goes out to Dick and everyone affected by these cuts.

Hawaii has it's own radio thread outside of radio-info.

Hey, we are here. This is Hawai`i, you want an answer now? Samesame around these parts. Lots of things rumbling around under the surface, much like Pele on the Big Island.

Hi Don, thanks for the note. Yes I know all about Hawaiian Time! BTW I am a big fan of your photography. Keep it up. I have tromped around on many of the mountain tops you are putting radio stations on. By that time I was out of broadcast radio and into commercial two way and ham radio repeaters. I loved going to Mt Ka'ala, top of the world, great views when it was in the clear.

Were you around during the Alan Roycroft era? Who inherited all of his multiplexed sites? I could feel the RF when I entered the Ward Ave and Kewalo Basin sites.

Nobody has felt the RF at Kewalo like Buddy Gordon has, that is for sure. At least he lived to tell the tale! So you remember the wooden chair with the big coil on the seat, sitting unsupported outside, being fed by two transmitters? You can still feel the RF in the air there. I think there are four stations being fed into that tower, two are 10KW. The KKSK tower is a wonder as well, over by the Home Depot. Tucked right into the parking lot, right off the Kam Highway.
As far as I know, Ernie Nearman, Dale Machado and maybe Byron McCann take care of that site now. I don't go near it. I'm too busy with Hawaii Public Radio these days.

Don Mussell said:
Hey, we are here. This is Hawai`i, you want an answer now? Samesame around these parts. Lots of things rumbling around under the surface, much like Pele on the Big Island.

Hi Don,

We were looking for you on the DX board a few months back. I was in Hawaii on vacation in Febuary and I had a chance to DX mainland stations. The one station I could not pick up was KGO. I know KGO has a major null towards Hawaii. My question is have you ever heard KGO in Hawaii? If so is it often or rarely?

Thanks.

I can hear KGO from time to time, mostly in the winter when static levels are lower. But conditions change all the time, so you never know. KGO is never very strong, due to the DA pattern they employ. KTRB (860 khz), on the other hand, booms in here nearly every night. The same with KMJ out of Fresno, 50 kw pointed right at Hawai`i. I hear KCBS occasionally, but they too use a DA pointed at the land, not out to sea.
Japanese AM stations are stronger here than US mainland stations, but that is likely because they are higher power. The distance is not very different.

Don Mussell said:
I can hear KGO from time to time, mostly in the winter when static levels are lower. But conditions change all the time, so you never know. KGO is never very strong, due to the DA pattern they employ. KTRB (860 khz), on the other hand, booms in here nearly every night. The same with KMJ out of Fresno, 50 kw pointed right at Hawai`i. I hear KCBS occasionally, but they too use a DA pointed at the land, not out to sea.
Japanese AM stations are stronger here than US mainland stations, but that is likely because they are higher power. The distance is not very different.

Thanks very much.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom