• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Internet Speeds What are you using

Our original friend was Insight at (up to) 10 down and 3 up. When Comcast bought the franchise it became 8 down and 2 up. We found UVerse over fiber that is 24 down and 5 up rock solid. Our town is wired for fiber. Fiber goes 550 feet from the head end then 50 feet over copper to our studios. ATT will not offer the full bandwidth they could. Obviously the upload speed needs to be higher for radio people to jump for joy.

In Indianapolis the best we can get is enhanced ATT DSL which is not Uverse. It is much slower as well. less than 5 down and 1.5 up. Indianapolis does not have the city wired for fiber. This limits some things we might do otherwise.

Have Comcast and Optimum Online at some sites, business class, with a solid 54mbps down and 14mbps up. Works great, latency is low and can feed uncompressed PCM over it to using Tieline Bridge IT codecs.

At home I'm stuck with Verizon DSL, business class, which is supposed to be 12-15mbps down and 1mbps up. Real world is about 8.5 down and 850kb up. Sucks, but no fiber here and Comcast starts out cheap but then it goes wayyyy up after the first year. And I still need the landline phone for the business so I don't chew up cell minutes and am able to fax.

I suppose I could ditch Verizon and go with a Magic Jack, but just haven't had the guts to cut the twisted pair copper cord, which works even when the power is out.

My girlfriend's dad has Fios... whoa! Tested that at 95 down and 45 up numerous times. It's like surfing the internet or downloading from a direct LAN. The only thing that holds back speed there is the connection on the other end. Viva fiber!

WNTIRadio said:
Have Comcast and Optimum Online at some sites, business class, with a solid 54mbps down and 14mbps up. Works great, latency is low and can feed uncompressed PCM over it to using Tieline Bridge IT codecs.

At home I'm stuck with Verizon DSL, business class, which is supposed to be 12-15mbps down and 1mbps up. Real world is about 8.5 down and 850kb up. Sucks, but no fiber here and Comcast starts out cheap but then it goes wayyyy up after the first year. And I still need the landline phone for the business so I don't chew up cell minutes and am able to fax.

I suppose I could ditch Verizon and go with a Magic Jack, but just haven't had the guts to cut the twisted pair copper cord, which works even when the power is out.

My girlfriend's dad has Fios... whoa! Tested that at 95 down and 45 up numerous times. It's like surfing the internet or downloading from a direct LAN. The only thing that holds back speed there is the connection on the other end. Viva fiber!

The Cost for Comcast here is free as we are non profit. ATT chanrges $85 a month. What are the costs for FIOS and Optimum Online? The speeds are much higher than anything offered in Indiana. ATT can offer much higher speeds but doesn't.

I check ours each day as a part of the daily report. This AM, 22.65 down, 24.62 up, with the morning show bananas doing their social networking thing. This using Megalink's speed test to their Atlanta servers. It's usually quicker to the NYC ones.

Station I contract with has service from my day job (newbreak communications) We are wireless in Vicksburg, MS, they currently have 12/5 with us and get it all the time, I'm testing some new packages up to 30/15 currently with good results in some areas. I definitely cannot do it on 2.4 ghz, best I can get per sector is about 30, however, on 5 ghz, I'm seeing 70+ per sector, currently only feeding sites with 100mb links until we get it built up a little more then going to be building our own fiber out to a few key sites and upgrading wireless backhaul for others. currently have 100/100 over fiber to the core router, upgrading to 250/250 as soon as our upstream gets the upgrade done.

I'm sure this is more info than requested but I've been extremely impressed with what I've been able to do over wireless for our customers. It's nice to directly see the results of all our hard work in this way. I started with an idea, ran with it, engineered it, built it, tested it and now here we are, currently the fastest ISP in town.

How and who can deliver fiber? This is a big question here. Anyone that claims to have it can't deliver it.

very much depends on location. I have some national contacts if you want to shoot me an area you are interested in getting bandwidth.

Been I while since I tested this.....AT&T DSL in a Chicago neighborhood.
Hold onto your hats.....

.65 Mbps down, .32 Mbps up. Gosh knows how far it's copper.

Let's see with the wireless 3G...switching over to the 3G card....

Wow! .22 Mbps down, and .04 Mbps up.

It's definitely faster than watching the text come in on an old 1200 baud modem in 1984, but hard to believe
I pay so much for such slow service.

And people say the AM band is a poor medium! :D

At least it's infinite resolution and gradients, and works in real time.

I think I'll make a tongue-in-cheek spot for AT&T data services to put on my pt 15 AM.

Can anybody ring up lower speeds than I have here?

This is one reason why I make fun of digital modes so much.

Don't tell me how great they are when this is how well it works.

Imagine how much fun it is streaming Netflix movies for us.

Often spend 2x the running time of any movie to actually watch it, with about 10 "intermissions".

AT&T should be really proud.

This is why I would never consider doing webstream audio of my station.

stephend2 said:
very much depends on location. I have some national contacts if you want to shoot me an area you are interested in getting bandwidth.

I am in Indiana and would love to have some fiber to our location and could even resell the excess.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom