• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

interesting story on audio cassette tapes, still being made

I had a friend who created a great invention. It was a record player with video. The RCA Video Disk Player.

But out came VCR's at about the same time. It didn't fly.
I remember seeing one of those in a junk pile. As I recall, it was essentially a flat platter of tape enclosed in a cardboard sleeve. Ampex made something similar, but RCA had theirs first.
MP3 is better than a cassette tape.
Considering how bad-sounding MP3 files can get, you're right. It's better than cassette tapes.

I remember seeing one of those in a junk pile. As I recall, it was essentially a flat platter of tape enclosed in a cardboard sleeve. Ampex made something similar, but RCA had theirs first.

Considering how bad-sounding MP3 files can get, you're right. It's better than cassette tapes.
Some audio CD's are designed to make bad MP3 copies if you rip them. Get around that by playing the CD while you record it in analog with something like audacity. Then normalize the song to 86% before you save it.

I remember seeing one of those in a junk pile.
IMO that's just where they belonged, too! Lol
As I recall, it was essentially a flat platter of tape enclosed in a cardboard sleeve. Ampex made something similar, but RCA had theirs first.
The RCA video disc player we had used discs about the same size as an LP record that came in a large, thick plastic sleeve. You inserted the entire sleeve into the machine, it extracted the disc and spit out the empty sleeve to you. 1/2 way through the movie it gave a message to flip the disc and you had to reinsert the sleeve into the machine, remove it with disc inside, flip it and do the process again to play the 2nd half. One time I manually removed the sleeve - the disc inside looked like a vinyl record and if I remember, just as an experiment I tried to "play" it on a standard turntable. The grooves were extremely small and close together and the stylus on the record player just jumped around but no sound was picked up.

1667255157070.png

My current car has a USB port and Bluetooth, but no CD. In most cases I use MP3s on a flash drive and occasionally Bluetooth, but definitely no cassettes or CDs, which I either have to convert or find a download to play in my car now.

In the mid 80s I worked for the Building 19 discount chain and we sold video discs and players (discs like Star Trek The Motion Picture). Display model had problems like skipping

Ahhh... mini-discs! We'd record a spot, then take the mini-disc from studio to studio and record it into our trusty Arrakis Digilink... then came the first call from the client "what the hell did you do to my spot... it sounds like sh-t". Anybody want some old minidisc recorders and brand-new minidisks, come on down, special deal... FREE...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom