• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Integrated Doo Wop Groups

I've been watching Music Choice a lot lately, and I've noticed that in the pictures of the artists they're playing, some of the groups from the 50s were integrated. Of course, they, and most black groups weren't on TV, and many record labels would not put pictures of their black artists on the record jackets.

I was very surprised to see the integrated groups. I'll bet there was pressure on all of the singers. I'm glad that they were about music, and not social issues.

The "mixed" groups I discovered:

The Del-Vikings
The Crests
The Meadowlarks
The Jaguars
Booker T. & The MGs

Are there others worth a mention?

When you discuss groups from the '50s and early '60s, you must ask, are these the original members of these groups? I can't recall seeing photos of any such groups during their heyday. I suppose it would not be at all unusual now for any of these groups, if they're still around, to have "members" from other racial or ethnic backgrounds. There has been so much fraud among groups from the '50s and '60s still out there playing the oldies circuit, that there have now been laws passed requiring each such group to still have at least one original member with them, if they are going to pass themselves off as a certain group from the '50s/'60s.

Among the groups listed, I know that Booker T and the MGs has always been an integrated group.

RicoGregg said:
I've been watching Music Choice a lot lately, and I've noticed that in the pictures of the artists they're playing, some of the groups from the 50s were integrated. Of course, they, and most black groups weren't on TV, and many record labels would not put pictures of their black artists on the record jackets.

I was very surprised to see the integrated groups. I'll bet there was pressure on all of the singers. I'm glad that they were about music, and not social issues.

The "mixed" groups I discovered:

The Del-Vikings
The Crests
The Meadowlarks
The Jaguars
Booker T. & The MGs

Are there others worth a mention?

The Impalas (I Ran All The Way Home) would be another.

firepoint525 said:
When you discuss groups from the '50s and early '60s, you must ask, are these the original members of these groups? I can't recall seeing photos of any such groups during their heyday. I suppose it would not be at all unusual now for any of these groups, if they're still around, to have "members" from other racial or ethnic backgrounds. There has been so much fraud among groups from the '50s and '60s still out there playing the oldies circuit, that there have now been laws passed requiring each such group to still have at least one original member with them, if they are going to pass themselves off as a certain group from the '50s/'60s.

I was able to Google "integrated vocal groups", and the ones I listed are indeed the original line-ups. Music Choice just about always shows the original group pictures on the screen. In the case of the Del-Vikings, they were 5 Air Force buddies who were stationed in the Pittsburgh area. In the case of the Crests, aka Johnny Maestro & the Crests, they were all from the same area of Brooklyn.

RicoGregg said:
firepoint525 said:

I was able to Google "integrated vocal groups", and the ones I listed are indeed the original line-ups. Music Choice just about always shows the original group pictures on the screen. In the case of the Del-Vikings, they were 5 Air Force buddies who were stationed in the Pittsburgh area. In the case of the Crests, aka Johnny Maestro & the Crests, they were all from the same area of Brooklyn.

sorry, Rico "Suave" :-*:-*, I gotta take issue here ;) - when Music Choice plays the Marvelettes, they almost ALWAYS show the picture of the bogus group - and by the way, kiddies, the law that i believe has been spoken of on this Board a few times is called "Truth in Music" - it's been passed in 18 of 52 states ALREADY....

andreajesus said:
RicoGregg said:
firepoint525 said:

sorry, Rico "Suave" :-*:-*, I gotta take issue here ;) - when Music Choice plays the Marvelettes, they almost ALWAYS show the picture of the bogus group - and by the way, kiddies, the law that i believe has been spoken of on this Board a few times is called "Truth in Music" - it's been passed in 18 of 52 states ALREADY....
52?

GridLeakBias said:
andreajesus said:
RicoGregg said:
firepoint525 said:

52 states?

Must be that Obama influence. HE thinks there are 57.

alright, alright, alright - before "Rico Suave" :-*:-*:-* and others on this Board start "knocking me" for MY "18 out of 52 states" comment, let me clarify - FIRST of all, i am NOT for Obama (I'm voting for McCain), and SECONDLY, i meant to say 18 out of 50 states - i know about "Truth in Music" law ALMOST as much as ANYBODY!! and thirdly, "Ri-co.....Suave...":-*

just playin with ya, Rico...;):-* EVERY time i see that name "Rico"...in ANYTHING, reminds me of a certain song from ANOTHER era with the word "Rico..." in the title... :-*

(Singing) His name was Rico, he wore a diamond....

(Not Singing) Oh, never mind! ::)

that wasn't the song i was thinking of, sweetie...:-*:-* (but i LOVE the way you do it, though!! ;);))

actually, the "Rico Suave" thing comes from Gerardo's 90's hit "Rico Suave" (these days, Gerardo is an A&R guy at Interscope Records - i think he was the one who signed Enrique Iglesias, iirc....)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom