• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

iHeartRadio layoffs in Cincinnati

Very sad day. A lot of my former board-op coworkers lost their jobs today. Several of them were friends and I have an endless amount of sympathy for them. I also had the pleasure of working with Marilyn Harris several times during my time as 55KRC producer. She she was incredibly kind to me and was beloved by virtually everyone (And there were quite a few) that called into her show. Her Saturday show will be missed.

Gah. I know that these things are inevitable in this business, but damn this all sucks.

If they're cutting paid weekend shows, that sounds to me like all programming in Cincinnati will be hubbed from somewhere else, except for tghe few live personalities. WLW seems to stay local in all of these cuts over the years. Will this change?

Shame. I can't imagine why they would cut paid programming. Board ops too expensive? Just need to cut headcount for IPO?

My mom taught me how to cook with love. Marilyn taught me how to cook properly.

Sad

How much does it cost for a part time board opp for her and all of the other paid shows that they dropped on Saturday afternoon? Those were the only live shows the station has. The rest of the week it's syndication from the bird. I'm surprised they didn't drop Brian Thomas from mornings. That must cost more than the weekend shows cooking and car shows which were popular.

How much does it cost for a part time board opp for her and all of the other paid shows that they dropped on Saturday afternoon? Those were the only live shows the station has. The rest of the week it's syndication from the bird. I'm surprised they didn't drop Brian Thomas from mornings. That must cost more than the weekend shows cooking and car shows which were popular.

In corporate world, sometimes heads are more important that $$. Yes the dollars matter, but headcount seems to have it's own overriding significance.

Gary Sullivan and Ron Wilson still do their syndicated shows out of the KRC studio. There's still a couple of paid shows, too, that do live shows like the Brown Financial guys and Fuller Information Technology.

It's definitely slim pickings on the station, but it's unfair to say that it's like Fox Sports 1360 which has NO local programming.

Sounds like poor Joe has to run the board for the Saturday shows...I wonder if anyone noticed that 55 KRC Ran the exact same NBC news for 6 plus hours today. "In the public interest" NOT. People need to step up and challenge these license. It's time to recapture the public airwaves

Last edited:
Good luck with that.

Sounds like poor Joe has to run the board for the Saturday shows...I wonder if anyone noticed that 55 KRC Ran the exact same NBC news for 6 plus hours today. "In the public interest" NOT. People need to step up and challenge these license. It's time to recapture the public airwaves

If only we could get iHeartMedia to sell it to Hubbard or Randy Michaels and have him start up a radio war again in this stale radio town. Lord knows it could use some excitement again. Yeah I know it'll never happen but I like to dream!

There is a problem in that so many people don't depend on radio (or broadcast TV to a good extent) any more for news and information. They find it on the wider variety of Internet and cable options that are not regulated by the FCC.

If a license is challenged, the simple solution for the licensee is to cut out news totally. And if the license is lost, it will be years before the signal returns to the air, if ever. Who really want's an AM station today?*

* The few who want AMs won't improve the news service in most markets, as they will be religious, brokered or ethnic stations in languages you probably don't speak.

I think if operated properly and using some local announcers/personalities at least in specific hours, an AM station could do well in a market like Cincinnati. Many well remember how WKRC was in the 1950's & 1960's. To say the least, that is a far cry from how it is today.

I think if operated properly and using some local announcers/personalities at least in specific hours, an AM station could do well in a market like Cincinnati. Many well remember how WKRC was in the 1950's & 1960's. To say the least, that is a far cry from how it is today.

I think the problem is too many people don't sample the AM band anymore. Yes, the come to WLW for the Reds. But I doubt that many ever go beyond 700. 10 or 15 years ago, that window still may have been open. I don't think it is anymore.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom