• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

iHeartMedia FIRES Steve Sommers of 700WLW's America's Truckin' Network

Is/was Bubba Bo still connected with iHeart? I remember many years ago when iHeart furloughed Bubba Bo and decided to run a rerun of ATN on weekends. One of the advertisers stepped up and offered to cover Bubba's pay to keep the show live on weekends.

I was there until July of 2018 and he was still a monthly presence on ATN at that point. I'm positive that the sponsors were still paying his salary to be on the radio since he only showed up on Motorkote Night to help them run their quiz show or whatever it was they did. I didn't really like those nights and neither did the producers who had to run those shows. I'm assuming that was the case this year, but I don't know that for sure.

He's gotta be gone for good now that ATN is done, though. He got a second chance at life through that sponsor paying him to host their sponsored night on the radio, but I don't think iHeart will ever bring him back as a regular employee after that stunt he pulled with the grill being brought into the studio.

According to this Facebook post, former ATN weekend guy Dave found a new home on the radio at WZAA 106.9 LPFM in that same Midnight to 5AM slot. Looks like he landed on his feet somewhat in the world of broadcasting.

Has anybody heard if Steve is doing anything now?

Has anybody heard if Steve is doing anything now?

Sorry for the double post, but I found out my own answer.

It looks like Steve has started a new show called "The Steve Sommers Overnight Drive". He has a Facebook page that you can find here. I'm still not sure if it's just a podcast or if he's doing live radio somewhere else.

He's also officially on YouTube. Here's a video that he uploaded regarding his getting fired from 700WLW:

I never really realized how bad "Redeye" is. They take very few calls. The ones they do always agree with hosts. Holley McNamara always concur with conservative corporate broadcasting.
Best alternative seems to be Bohanan on WGN720.

I didn't know Bohannan was on WGN. It seems he doesn't get as much play as he should; he's good and doesn't have all political guests.

If WGN no longer has a local overnight how, Jim Bohannon is a good choice. That now leaves WABC 770 NYC with the only local overnight show. No longer WGN, no longer WBZ 1030 Boston, which now runs prerecorded overnight news.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom