• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

iHeart drops several HD-only broadcasts

If you're that concerned about it, ask them yourself. It was told to me by someone I trust, so I see no reason to question it.
I was just trying to determine whether you had actual information, or just speculating. Avoiding answering is usually an answer in itself.

I just wonder how many times I have to say "a friend e-mailed this information to me after contacting iHeart radio himself" before you're satisfied.
The statement "A friend" means it's pure speculation, not that you heard it from a reliable source.

I thought translators were required to be fed by a primary station and be set up to go off the air if the main station's signal is lost.

If the primary station WRKH-HD3 is off the air, how is this 101.1 translator still running its programming unless they are taking a direct feed and operating in violation of the FCC rules?

HD translators are licensed as fill-in, and as such are allowed to be fed directly instead of by terrestrial antenna.

§ 74.1231 Purpose and permissible service.

(b) An FM translator may be used for the purpose of re-transmitting the signals of a primary AM or FM radio broadcast station or another translator station the signal of which is received directly through space, converted, and suitably amplified, and originating programming to the extent authorized in paragraphs (f), (g), and (h) of this section.

An FM translator providing fill-in service may use any terrestrial facilities to receive the signal that is being rebroadcast.

HD translators are licensed as fill-in, and as such are allowed to be fed directly instead of by terrestrial antenna.

§ 74.1231 Purpose and permissible service.

(b) An FM translator may be used for the purpose of re-transmitting the signals of a primary AM or FM radio broadcast station or another translator station the signal of which is received directly through space, converted, and suitably amplified, and originating programming to the extent authorized in paragraphs (f), (g), and (h) of this section.

An FM translator providing fill-in service may use any terrestrial facilities to receive the signal that is being rebroadcast.

Right, but regardless of how the translator is fed, if it's HD side channel parent goes off, the translator should go off too.

What are the rules of station identification for translators? If they only identify their parent station (i.e. WXXX-HDX Mobile) and not their translator calls, is that a potential FCC violation?

What are the rules of station identification for translators? If they only identify their parent station (i.e. WXXX-HDX Mobile) and not their translator calls, is that a potential FCC violation?
No.

Translators can id by fsk, frequency shift keying, which is in audible to the human ear.. shifts the carrier just a bit and is considered a legal id.

I helped mind the shop for a translator and all you ever heard at TOH was "90.3 KWYC Cheyenne"... never incldued K262AI....... there was a little box attached to the back of the older transmtiter, an add-on, that did the FSK stuff.

all newer transmitters can do this

A legal id is kinda outdated.. the US is the only country in the world who has such semi rigid laws for what an ID must include

A legal id is kinda outdated.. the US is the only country in the world who has such semi rigid laws for what an ID must include
Mexico is stricter. Every half hour, with call letters, station name, city and state, frequency and owner name, too.

Same in Grand Rapids, MI, where iHeart has dropped HD2 on the following stations:
93.7 WBCT
101.3 WBFX
101.7 WMRR
104.5 WSNX
105.7 WSRW
107.9 WMUS
All of the above still run HD (HD1 only). 96.1 WMAX and 106.9 WOOD still have HD2 subchannels; both HD2s carry AMs with no translator. None of the Cumulus stations that are licensed for HD (94.5 WKLQ, 96.9 WLAV, 105.3 WHTS) have had HD in years.

Happened to drive "home" for Thanksgiving and noticed that 96.1-3 is still low quality/volume. Why put Freedom Talk or whatever that translator on 101.1 on WKRH-HD3?

WNTM 710 is back on 99.9 HD-3 on higher volume/audio so that is a relief. Honestly I am sure iHeart could put it on its own FM dial and it would do well. "710 WNTM and 101.1 FM WTNM - News Talk for the Gulf Coast", or have 104.9 out of Mississippi to expand their listening coverage to Mobile.

What is 94.9 HD2 and 107.3 HD? going to do? Is the Smooth Jazz channel gone for good?

And no more 101.5 HD2?

Happened to drive "home" for Thanksgiving and noticed that 96.1-3 is still low quality/volume. Why put Freedom Talk or whatever that translator on 101.1 on WKRH-HD3?
Alex, that HD3 is probably what is feeding the translator, unless there is an AM or another station that is feeding the translator per FCC rules. If that's already the case then the owner is just giving the station the extra exposure on an extra channel.

3 HD+ Channels audible in East Central Florida have been discontinued lately....

WWKA HD1 and HD2 (Cox) Orlando - HD2 was "Big Machine Radio"
WFKS-HD2 - Melbourne (IHeart Media) - was "All My Jams"
WLRQ-HD2- Cocoa (IHeart Media) - was "Big Fun Beach Radio"

WSCF-HD - Vero Beach - Christian FM added HD

kw - MLB

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom