• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

I Want To Thank Everyone

Now for some closure on these various postings,

All I wanted to do is provide my hometown with a voice for the Contemporary Christian music sound and presentation. I believe this radio station is a needed asset to this community, since everything seems to be falling apart. I want to use this radio station to help revive this dead community and bring it to life. I know that starting up and maintaining a radio station involves more than just being a dj. I wanted to see the youth and young adults get saved through this presentation and help change this community for the better. Many of you reading are saying Dan you don't have what it takes to run a radio station. Sure you may have 17 years of experience when it comes to running a writing ministry. For those 17 years, it has been me and the blessed Trinity doing People for Jesus. Been working hard at this craft and have seen many new doors open for me. I know that everyone reading has their own views about this dream and how I should pursue it. I respect all the views being posted here. It has been a great but sometimes painful learning experience, when it comes to pursuing a new radio station from scratch. Unless God wants me to ditch this dream, I plan on doing these things. Want to now become a non profit and then file for a license, when it's the right time. As I post this sincere post, tears are coming to my eyes. Want to see this thing through to the end and use it to help revive a dead community. I already know that learning the ins and outs is the only way I'm going to succeed in this business. Thanks to everyone here who has been assisting me in this effort. Now if anyone reading wants to help me get my foot into the door legally and correctly, then you may do so. Want to save money and see this dream through. Thanks to everyone for their help. Even if they offered some blunt and stern words, I appreciate it. Now I'm going to take a break from posting anything else about this, unless someone were to come along and say Dan we want to help you get things going. Now if someone were to do that, I would be one happy camper indeed.

Dan <><

P.S. Thanks doubting thomas for all your words too. I needed them.

Scratch that thought.

Going to see if I can raise the money and then send it to Sterling.

This is going to be my last shot.

Hope this will work out.

Dan <><

I really don't want to rain on your parade R.D.P because I love your enthusiasm and your desire to serve God through Christian Radio.
Scott has made several valid points that I agree with. I also want to point out to R.D.P. that you have been putting the cart before the horse. I don't think you have done your homework with the FCC. The call letters WPHA are not even available anymore, so building a website and telling us all your plans for WPHA is premature until you have the money to do a Frequency Search and then also have the money to hire a qualified engineer to do the proper FCC application for you when the filing window comes open.

Fortunately for you, there is a low-power FM filing window coming open this Fall at the FCC. But if you don't have the funding and aren't ready, the opportunity may pass you by for several years. The only other option is to buy an existing low-power station, but there is likely not one for sale in your own home town. If you do a frequency search there, successfully identify something available for your town and successfully file for it, you still will not be able to call the station WPHA since those call letters are unavailable.

Once the filing is done, it might be several YEARS before the FCC acts on the application. Since you have mentioned your intentions to file for an LP station in Selma on different threads here, you might find that other broadcast owners-to-be will now decide to file for the same locale because you have identified a good potential market for local radio. This can cause a further delay and a battle for who gets approval in your market. This is called being MX'd together.

I say all this from first-hand experience. I started a full-power non-commercial FM from scratch. I first did a frequency search in 2001, filed for a license in 2002 when the filing window opened and sat around waiting for 7 years with nothing happening. Finally in 2009, the FCC began to act on applications and I was MX's with another applicant. I then had to pay-off the other applicant to drop their filing so that I could be approved. After all that, I got the station on the air later in 2009 and it has been on since that time. It's not easy, it takes patience, but is also takes an ability to keep silent about certain details until they become reality. Unfortunately the call letters I wanted also were not available but it did not deter me. Again, I can see that desire shining through you and I love it. But you have to be smart and do this in stages. Nothing happens overnight. If it was easy, everyone would own a radio station.

If you are serious about this pursuit, then talk to a professional engineer that can help you without ripping you off. In the Christian radio market, Sterling Communications in Ringgold Georgia is about the best that there is. They have helped many start-up broadcasters like me and like you.

Good Luck in your pursuit to become a Local Christian Broadcaster in your hometown.

Just to clarify... R.D.P. isn't the one looking to start WPHA, that would be me. :)

I have known for years that there are ZERO available frequencies in this area, so that's a dead-end. It's going to take a bona fide miracle. I have it on good authority that God is still in THAT business. ;)

BTW, a search of the FCC database shows WPHA-FM has NOT been taken. :)

I found it, buried in the database:

WPHA-CD is a digital TV station of some sort in Philadelphia. It says "Call sign WPHA is not available."

Unless you have a licensed station, it doesn't matter anyway. The stations here HAVE call letters and seldom use them except as required in tne legal ID.

Because I am also working on an LPFM, but in a different market, I have been through that call sign reservation thing a number of times. I have a list of call letters I would be fine with, in descending order of preference. Until you have the CP they don't matter and you can't reserve them.

But you will get that miracle, yet, Willie!

RDP, I don't think this is necessary, but I will say it anyway; HOLD ON TO YOU DREAM! R/D members have blessed you with an abundance of priceless wisdom, but your dream comes from God Himself. Be greatful for both!

He has a plan for you to use your inspired ambition for His Glory. He may not have revealed it entirely, and the future may surprise you with turns you don't now see. God's clock ticks to a different tempo than ours. Keep trusting Him.

My Pastor has said it this way:
God responds less to NEED and more to FAITH.

If it wasn't His will, He wouldn't have led me to pursue this Vision for over 26 years. He owns the cattle on 1,000 hills, the Bible says. He owns Heaven and Earth. What is a radio station to the Lord and Creator of all that is? :) That's how I look at it.

When it is HIS TIME and HIS PLACE, He *WILL* make a way, where there seems to be NO way. I have held onto this Vision with my Faith firmly planted in GOD's ability to provide, not man's. :)

These words apply to ANYONE with a God-given VISION! Keep your eyes on HIM! Remember when Peter stepped out of the boat? Yes, *PETER WALKED ON WATER* toward Jesus! It was ONLY when Peter took his eyes off of the Lord, that he began to sink!

What happened next? Peter cried out, "Lord! Save me!" IMMEDIATELY Jesus stretched out His hand, and saved him! :D

If God calls us to start a radio station, He will see it through! NEVER allow the ENEMY to rob that Vision from you! He will try to discourage you... but keep your eyes on JESUS!

When the time is right, He will make a way! Keep us posted! We can REJOICE together, when your station finally signs-on! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom