• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Humour that turns out to be not so sweet.

It was mentioned aleready on the Kentucky board, but worth repeating here, and I found a link to another article, different from the one there.

A creul, yet funny joke...but awful late for April first, huh?

Caller ten won "100 grand"...

www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0623051grand1.html

How about a Toy-Yoda? or a free car phone that, ofcorse looks like a car?

I do see no harm in giving away a Plane phone instead of a Plain phone though.
(Yes, a phone that looks like a plane, not a phone that was on a plane!)

Any other great misleading prizes to add to this list?
<P ID="signature">______________
"If you never say NO, How much is your YES worth?"
</P>

> It was mentioned aleready on the Kentucky board, but worth
> repeating here, and I found a link to another article,
> different from the one there.
>
> A creul, yet funny joke...but awful late for April first,
> huh?
>
> Caller ten won "100 grand"...
>
> www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0623051grand1.html
>
> How about a Toy-Yoda? or a free car phone that, ofcorse
> looks like a car?
>
> I do see no harm in giving away a Plane phone instead of a
> Plain phone though.
> (Yes, a phone that looks like a plane, not a phone that was
> on a plane!)
>
> Any other great misleading prizes to add to this list?
>
There was one time--not sure where--when a radio station announced that Britney Spears was coming to that station--a limo comes up to the station and there are screaming fans--ONLY IT TURNS OUT THERE WAS A DOLL OF HER IN THE CAR!!! Look there should be a fine line between creativity and just plain stupidity!

> I am sorry that the idiot who conducted this contest is
> already gone and can't be fired. Idiot. What makes these
> morons think cruelty is funny?
>

I think Paul Barsky pulled the same prank in Philly in the 80's on WCAU
didn't he? But I believe the $100,000 grand candy bar had just come out.
Seems like a more topical prank then doing it today.

This DJ Slick was down south in Lexington KY... Maybe the candy bars just came there in 2005. LOL

I think he was carefull to Say 100 Grand and not Dollars in the promo.

We'll see if Cumulus has to cough up the dough.
I think it was a weak gag too.

> > I am sorry that the idiot who conducted this contest is already gone and can't be fired. Idiot. What makes these morons think cruelty is funny?

> I think Paul Barsky pulled the same prank in Philly in the 80's on WCAU
> didn't he? But I believe the $100,000 grand candy bar had just come out.
> Seems like a more topical prank then doing it today.
>
> This DJ Slick was down south in Lexington KY... Maybe the
> candy bars just came there in 2005. LOL
>
> I think he was carefull to Say 100 Grand and not Dollars in
> the promo.

From what I read, he said You can win "100 grand" not "a hundred grand".
Either way, Cumulus will have to pay. Precedent is pretty clear on these kinds of stupid stunts.

>
> We'll see if Cumulus has to cough up the dough.
> I think it was a weak gag too.
> <P ID="signature">______________
Jerry

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - late Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan</P>

So stunts like this should only be pulled on 1st April? I'm sorry, but if it happened to me, I wouldn't go running for the lawyer. The way I see it, it was a good promotion. So someone got their nose bent out of joint. The station is still the winner because peoplr like us are still talking about it. Can anyone tell me if this promo was sponsored? That could have been a clue as to what the outcome was likely to be(eg. your chance to win a hundred grand, thanks to Nestle....). Just a thought.

> > > I am sorry that the idiot who conducted this contest is
> already gone and can't be fired. Idiot. What makes these
> morons think cruelty is funny?
>
> > I think Paul Barsky pulled the same prank in Philly in the
> 80's on WCAU
> > didn't he? But I believe the $100,000 grand candy bar had
> just come out.
> > Seems like a more topical prank then doing it today.
> >
> > This DJ Slick was down south in Lexington KY... Maybe the
> > candy bars just came there in 2005. LOL
> >
> > I think he was carefull to Say 100 Grand and not Dollars
> in
> > the promo.
>
> From what I read, he said You can win "100 grand" not "a
> hundred grand".
> Either way, Cumulus will have to pay. Precedent is pretty
> clear on these kinds of stupid stunts.
>
>
>
>
> >
> > We'll see if Cumulus has to cough up the dough.
> > I think it was a weak gag too.
> >
>

So stunts like this should only be pulled on 1st April?

No. Stunts like this should never be pulled. There are very few good radio April Fool's Day jokes. To be funny, it needs to be harmless and not inconvenience your listener. Doesn't it seem obvious you can't build an audience by pissing them off? The only one amused was the jock! It wasn't even particularly clever.

the station is still the winner because peoplr like us are still talking
about it.

Pissed off people or people who think you treated someone else like dirt are not likely to write down your call letters in a diary.

I'm sorry, but if it happened to me, I wouldn't go running for the lawyer. The way I see it, it was a good promotion.

What was the benefit to the promotion? Getting people to talk about you is not a worthwhile goal. Lot's of contemptuous people are talked about. I once worked alongside a program director once who thought it would be hilarious to tell listeners that Brad Pitt was going to be at a Dodge Dealer in Savannah. I told him before the stunt that it was not going to be funny to the parents who drove their teengage daughters 50 miles each way when they found out it wasn't <u>that</u> Brad. Boy, people were pissed. And I didn't blame them.

So someone got their nose bent out of joint. Can anyone tell me if this promo was sponsored?

I'd be amazed if a sponsor attached his name to this. Who would want to pay to generate ill-will?

Fortunately, the half-wit who did this is unemployable in radio except to an employer who doesn't check references. If someone does hire him, they'll deserve each other.

I deplore the extent to which people will run to a lawyer when something like this happens. Still, I have to admit. Between my contempt for the jock, and the fact that it will be so easy to win this case, I'd be tempted.<P ID="signature">______________
Jerry

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - late Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan</P>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom