• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Huge Cuts at Sinclair - KOMO, KVI, KPLZ and KOMO TV

I agree that this is a duplicate thread, but the only names I saw in the linked thread were the KPLZ morning show and music director. I haven't heard any other changes to KOMO radio or TV, but being as I'm out of the market now, I can only listen at night. Any word on whether Steve Dunn was let go from KATU? He's been missing since late last week, though didn't get to watch last night.

That 100% makes sense, but I would have thought the story in the Seattle Times linked in the other thread would have mentioned a few names, but it really didn't. As for Dunn, must be an oddly timed vacation, as he went missing from the evening news right about the time the news of the cuts came down.

That 100% makes sense, but I would have thought the story in the Seattle Times linked in the other thread would have mentioned a few names, but it really didn't. As for Dunn, must be an oddly timed vacation, as he went missing from the evening news right about the time the news of the cuts came down.
My guess is most of those affected received severance payouts. Some of them may not want their names public to gawkers.

You're not hearing about TV cuts here because, well...this is a radio board. But to answer your question about KATU, according to Layoffs at Portland’s KATU-TV include Brian Wood, others Dunn isn't done.
Gosh, how many times has Brian Wood been cut in a "restructuring?"

He lost his job at KIRO in a post 9/11 cut but unlike most talent out on the street at his age, he was able to keep his major market career going in Baltimore, and then again at KATU in Portland. He's always been quite good and I often wish KIRO had kept him.

I agree Brian is quite good, he will land on his feet. My bet is he was well-compensated.
I mean, he's certainly in his 60s by this point, so maybe this is the end of the line. He started at KIRO in 1982, and I don't think that was his first job after college.

He interviewed me for a ski announcer job circa 1980, and I remember him being a couple of years older than myself, so that would put him at 62 or 63. I didn’t get the gig, so damn you Brian! Kidding of course.

So just checking ... every exit he's had since 1982 has been a layoff:

1. 2001 - KIRO Weekend Anchor and Reporter
  2. 2008 - WMAR Baltimore Evening Anchor
  3. 2021 - KATU Morning Anchor
I think when he joined KATU he was doing fill in work and the eventually the 4PM newscast, working his way back into a featured role. He's had a pretty substantial career despite the set backs.

Tv news roundabout. Tough industry. You either are a star or not. Radio kind of the same way. Never pretended to be a stable job position. Unfortunately it isn’t even a job position at all these days.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom