• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

HOW TO FIND DIRECT STREAMING LINKS ON FLASH PLAYERS

For internet radios like the RCA Infinite Radio that I use, does anyone have an idea how to dig into a station's flash website to learn the underlying direct streaming link? For example, the liquidcompass stream at www.kifm.com. I will be fascinated to learn if someone has a good way to "reverse engineer" these flash streaming websites. Thanks for your help!

What is it that you are wanting.... the xxx.xx.xx.xxx numeric description of a server or what? Is that the info you need to cause an "Internet Radio Receiver" to go to the station? When I followed your link, it took me to the station, where I found the "Listen Now" link which brought up the Flalsh Player and the following link was displayed while I listened:

http://den-a.plr.liquidcompass.net/player/flash/audio_player.php?id=KIFMFM&uid=90

What are you looking for?

I am totally puzzled as to what you really want.

None of the three links you just posted will work on my machine. That appears to be one of the big challenges in the world of audio-on-the-Internet. Depending on what software I have on my machine, what codecs I have on my machine, and what Registry Entires I have on my machine, audio can be duck-soup easy, or it can be cat-training impossible.

Any link that functions is going to:
launch SOME audio player....
(it may be a gaudy screenfull of player, it may be a very tiny control)

You get no audio without the launching of an audio player... though I guess it could launch without being visible if you know the right parameters to use in the launch.

Can I assume that maybe you are looking for the "code" to put into an Internet Radio rather than launching sound on a computer?

There are a lot of topics that can be quickly learned by going to Barnes and Noble and finding the right book with all the how-to-do-it guidelines. I have NEVER found a book on computer audio that answers the questions I am asking and the things I want to do.

I think what ABQRADIO wants is the direct stream link in a .pls .asx etc. I think the answer is that with Professional Streaming Providers like LiquidCompass and Securenetsystems do not publicly publish these links. I assume to combat stream ripping, of course this is speculation on my part. But http://den-a.plr.liquidcompass.net/player/flash/audio_player.php?id=KIFMFM&uid=90 is their stream link. They use this instead of the traditional .pls , .asx links. They could have a .m3u playlist file. But doing a search I could not find one.

It is frustrating when the link produces no sound, and possibly you get an on screen message like: "No player available for this type of file". You don't know what type of file they are trying to feed. You often do not know what player they want you to use. Makes trouble-shooting next to impossible. My primary computer would not receive a lot of streams for several months. It finally turned out that I had a codec in place, but it was listed in my machines registry so for all practical purposes, it didn't exist. I had no clues to track this thing down. You cannot imagine how many forums on audio I tracked on Google before I finally found a message that opened things up for me.

Some of the (traditional) broadcasting companies like CBS use a proprietary stream that requires their proprietary player installed on your computer. And it may not minimize. It wants enough space on your screen that they can feed changing visual advertising to your screen. Everybody is dreaming of establishing (marking?) their turf for the day that being able to sell those ads becomes very, very lucrative. If they use a common or generic stream protocol, then you can use the player application of your choice and you chop the head off their advertising vehicle.

Getting back to ABQRADIO.... maybe he is trying one of four or five stream types he assumes they are sending so he can use the Player APP of HIS choice, not their choice. When they cloak their streaming technology where you cannot see a PLS or other common file type, I assume they are using only ONE file type, and they are not interested in me, you, or ABQRADIO even knowing what file type it is.

I do see that many streamers, both on-line-only and the tradition broadcasters.... on their webpage will let you choose from 3 or 4 different file types, one of which should be most comfortable for the apps you have installed. May their tribe increase.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom