• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

How Much Do You Think Being On 910 kHz With The Whistle Hurt Over The Years?

It didn't seem to bother KISN and Sunny 910 listeners considering how well that/those station/s did in all the years they were operating. AM tuners in the 1950s and 1960s were nowhere near as sophisticated as they were in the late 80s and throughout the 90s when "AM Only" was in its heyday.

If you go to my aircheck collection and bring up the 1995 KKSN aircheck (the one near the bottom of the page, with the picture of Chick Watkins) during the quiet periods you do hear some LO imaging but it's not very intrusive. I didn't think much of it at the time but as cheap a piece of junk as the Emerson CTR911C was, its AM side had relatively good image rejection/beat suppression. For the most part it put so much signal into my listening area that any self-interference mostly got clobbered anyways.

Last edited:
Back when the nondirectional beacon LAKER ("IA") was still operating on 334 from the Gresham, OR Boeing facility, I used to receive it on the GM stock radio in mother's '97 Suburban around 1500 (4 1/2th harmonic?!?) in the car park of the Home Depot at Marine Drive and I-205. This was about 1/2 mile or so east of PDX.

We had a problem on Miami Beach where the Miami Marine operator was on 2490 and the top-forty WSRF (SuRF) was on 1580.
2490-910=1580.

Do you have some tape of that? I would love to hear the sort of interference those stations would have created for each other! Sounds like somebody somewhere didn't calculate something right.

The image sounded a lot like the 910 whistle in my experience. In Genesee County, we had WKMF/WFNT 1470, which made a whistle on 560 and audio was listenable. We had WQTE/WHND/WRDT on 560 in an adjacent market, which could only be heard on the car radio. If you had a really good TRF stage set, you could hear it. I think that without it, or with an excellent image rejection portable you could have nulled WRDT out and heard WIND in the Daytime. I could suppress the 1470 image with an external short antenna going through an LC inductively coupled to a portable and grounded. But I couldn’t null WHND out. You could hear WIND on the car radio between Sunset at WRDT and Pattern Change at WIND, at least at their old site with the top loaded towers. Does anyone know if they modified their pattern when they rebuilt their array?

Last edited:
I used to get a pretty strong image from 1520, around 610, that put a squeal on 620. This existed all over southeast Portland and parts of Clackamas County until what used to be KGW moved to the KEX site, down the street from 1520.

Do you have some tape of that? I would love to hear the sort of interference those stations would have created for each other! Sounds like somebody somewhere didn't calculate something right.
I do not, but I can describe it this way: as I tuned from 1570 through 1580 to 1590, they would zero beat on 1580. This assumes that the receiver is properly aligned and that its IF frequency is very close to 455. Had I had a tunable signal generator, I would have tuned the IF components higher or lower. Later, when I found out how to do it without one, I tuned one receiver IF to 520 KHz for broader fidelity and another receiver lower than 455 for better selectivity. You can go up to about 520 KHz until you begin to tune in the oscillator at the bottom of the band, and you can only tune down a limited amount for added selectivity because of the limited ranges of the tuning capacitor calibration screws and the IF cans. You want to still be able to peak everything up for maximum gain. I later found that cheap shortwave receivers have their IF's offset in the other direction, so images would be 910 KHz above the stations. To simplify the math here, a station on 1500 KHz would produce an image on 590 on the medium wave band and an image on 2,490 on the first shortwave band.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom