• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

How do I become an on air personality?

Goat Rodeo Cowboy said:
Tony Santiago said:
A well respected program director gave me this tip. Write things down before you say it on the air. By doing that beforehand, that picks up your confidence in terms of your delivery without having to think of something spur of the moment and get all tangled up in the process.

People who give presentations and speeches in business and politics understand this "write it down" technique. My memory of my time in the studio: It was part of the unspoken culture that only an untalented wimp would do that.

A first cousin of that culture that was alive and well: If you are to give voice to a prayer in church... never write it down. God will think you are not sincere and honest.

There's a difference in praying to God versus being on the air.

And if this guy is getting started and needs to do that before he can work himself up to natural delivery, then I don't see anything wrong with it.

My experience has been that writing things down can be a crutch that leads an announcer to sound like they're reading something they wrote down... not good. I agree with jotting down some ideas, and really thinking about what you're going to say, but you don't want to sound rehearsed. Writing down what you're going to say can make you sound rehearsed and unnatural.

reelyreal said:
My experience has been that writing things down can be a crutch that leads an announcer to sound like they're reading something they wrote down... not good. I agree with jotting down some ideas, and really thinking about what you're going to say, but you don't want to sound rehearsed. Writing down what you're going to say can make you sound rehearsed and unnatural.

At this point we could say that people are like snowflakes.... No two are alike!!!!

But that is inaccurate and misleading. People seem to come in "tribes".

We got onto this tangent when someone said writing down an outline can keep you from stuttering, stammering, and generally talking in circles. If a person sounds glib, confidant, natural just shooting from the hip, FIRE AWAY.

One of my children had difficulty not only in speaking to a group, but to some extent in conversation. Some people would make career decisions to make sure such a trait did not dominate their life or interfere with their life. This person near-and-dear to me marched down to the Toastmasters Club and signed up and went to competitions and brought home trophies. I have no idea what she wrote down and what she shot-from-the-hip with. Her life's work requires that she lead conferences and make speeches.

Take your choice if you are going to be on-the-air. Use crutches when needed; avoid any gig that would require crutches, or buy woodworking tools and become your own builder of customized crutches.

I have lots of "tools" in my "shop" and most of them do not involve woodworking.

I have a full time job, but would like to become a part time radio host/ on air personality because it's always been a dream of mine. But I've heard that broadcasting schools (i.e. Conecticut School of Broadcasting) are a rip off. Plus I already have two degrees and am not eager to pay thousands in new school debts. I'm in my mid 30s, and enjoy my career, so I doubt I have the time (or even the opportunity as someone not between the ages pf 18-22, to intern) How does one go about getting into radio at my age? I know the NY market is ver hard to break into, but my job doesn't allow me to relocate to the middle of nowhere, so I'm somewhat limited. But I'm also open to hearing all options... Any advice? Or any ideas on where I could find advice?

Any guidance is helpful. Thanks so much!!

The best answer would be to get into a time machine and go back to 1964. Then get an FCC first class license and you could work at any number of AM
directional stations doing the evening or over night shifts.

RADIO TRUTH said:
The best answer would be to get into a time machine and go back to 1964. Then get an FCC first class license and you could work at any number of AM
directional stations doing the evening or over night shifts.

And get paid $2.50 an hour.

$2.50 an hour was not awful money in 1964 for someone wanting radio experience. The point is that there were places to develop your skills back then and they don't exist today. You could also augment your income back then by doing record hops and various other personal appearances. Many stations in 1964 paid much more than $2.50 an hour. Remember, in 1964 you could buy a full meal for $1.50.

RADIO TRUTH said:
The point is that there were places to develop your skills back then and they don't exist today.

Sure they do. Just not in the same place. That's what this thread is about. I can do more in my laptop than I could in a radio studio. If people want to learn, there are many more places to go than ever before.

you can always go on blogtalk radio or do your own podcast. with the technology we have nowadays - you can do anything you wish and just post it on the internet. good luck. btw, radio ain't all fun and glamour. it's still work. still have to prep. be happy and witty and folksie. all that good stuff.

you can always go on blogtalk radio or do your own podcast. with the technology we have nowadays - you can do anything you wish and just post it on the internet. good luck. btw, radio ain't all fun and glamour. it's still work. still have to prep. be happy and witty and folksie. all that good stuff.

You can do all of the stuff listed above with current technology but, will it make you any money? HELL NO!!!

Your Youtube Videos will be examined these days. If you want to be a better on air talent. Email or Facebook some of your best Youtube Video's to somebody and hope for the best.

I wish you the Best, its hard today, I myself would love to do it, but I am too old, if your young, u may have the chance, but personalities are slowly going away. I do wish you the Best, at least try!!!

ah, no - blogtalk will not make you any money but if you really love it and really want to do this - then this is the best way. you are your own boss. formatics be darned! if this is something that you have always wanted to do - then do it!

RADIO TRUTH said:

$2.50 an hour was not awful money in 1964 for someone wanting radio experience. The point is that there were places to develop your skills back then and they don't exist today. You could also augment your income back then by doing record hops and various other personal appearances. Many stations in 1964 paid much more than $2.50 an hour. Remember, in 1964 you could buy a full meal for $1.50.

$2.50 an hour in 1964 would have been great money for weekends at a small station. In 1973 when I got into radio, I made $1.65 an hour (minimum wage) at the station I did weekends at. (And drove 100 miles each way to get a start on-air)

Exactly what type of radio does MrE want to do? Talk? Music? Live? Voice-tracked? What type of music?

MrE said:
I have a full time job, but would like to become a part time radio host/ on air personality because it's always been a dream of mine. But I've heard that broadcasting schools (i.e. Conecticut School of Broadcasting) are a rip off. Plus I already have two degrees and am not eager to pay thousands in new school debts. I'm in my mid 30s, and enjoy my career, so I doubt I have the time (or even the opportunity as someone not between the ages pf 18-22, to intern) How does one go about getting into radio at my age? I know the NY market is ver hard to break into, but my job doesn't allow me to relocate to the middle of nowhere, so I'm somewhat limited. But I'm also open to hearing all options... Any advice? Or any ideas on where I could find advice?

Any guidance is helpful. Thanks so much!!

First off my man, if you are one of those people who would like to work in the industry,and you really don't care what genre you play, give it a shot. But personally, get a show together, buy some airtime, then go out and get advertisers to purchase some spots on your show, keep what is left over. This is the only way you get to stay in one market and not be bopping all over the country being paid peanuts.Or...put a show together, find a station that will barter, it won't cost you any money, then go out and find advertisers and you keep it all.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom