• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

How about 93.1 Nash FM?

New York City just got a country station after 17 years... could Cumulus roll out the Nash FM format to Detroit on 93.1? :)

WYCD really needs the competition, although Clear Channel's attempts with a country format failed on 106.7... (doubt Greater Media would flip any of their stations to Country either, so Cumulus would be the only option)

umfan said:
http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/a...ork-s-nash-fm-just-the-beginning-of-a-nationw

93.1 would be the only Cumulus property likely in Detroit, and the success of WYCD makes trying this tempting, I'm sure, to Cumulus, but Doug is pulling halfway decent ratings so I'm not sure they'll flip.
danikayser84 said:
New York City just got a country station after 17 years... could Cumulus roll out the Nash FM format to Detroit on 93.1? :)

WYCD really needs the competition, although Clear Channel's attempts with a country format failed on 106.7... (doubt Greater Media would flip any of their stations to Country either, so Cumulus would be the only option)
If any of the CBS Radio juggernauts are going to get competition, this is the one that makes sense.

danikayser84 said:

I was just reading about this to! Give WYCD some much needed competition.
It's time for Doug to die anyways.
Kinda sad I was hoping one day that I would see Rhythmic ac/Dance Type format back on 93.1 again, but doesn't look like that will ever happen! :'( :'(

I was looking on the 94.7 Nash FM website and was reading some of the followers of the station on Twitter and found one of it's followers to be 93.1 Nash FM....and the tweets are kind of funny regarding what would seem like it's arrival in Detroit. Just pointing it out. The tweets make mention to Doug as well.

I truly don't feel there's enough of an audience in Detroit to support two stations. Even back in the day when WYCD debuted as "Young Country" and went head to head with W4 Country, country music was the most dominant music format in the country. Garth Brooks had a lot to do with it. But after he peaked, so did the country music industry. Most of the country nightclubs around Metro Detroit were changing to mainstream rock or techno-clubs.

It was the same way here in Pittsburgh right around the same time. You had two Contemporary country stations and a Hot Country station on the FM dial, and a Classic Country station on the AM dial. That's a lot of country stations for a market much smaller than Detroit. But the format burned out...no one's really revolutionizing country music to the point where anyone wants to deconstruct an existing station to try a country format.

In other words, a few ratings points is still better than none at all. And this industry is hurting right now. PPM ratings haven't amounted to a hill of beans in terms of revenue.

danikayser84 said:
Clear Channel's attempts with a country format failed on 106.7...

CC didn't attempt per se...the station was a heritage country station by the time they got it, and it had been since the days that Shamrock owned it. Perhaps even before. They only mistake CC made was they tried to 'fix' it.

If you did great, you'd split the rating with WCYD so that would be about a 3.8. Chances are you'd get only about 40% of the rating so that's about a 3.0, and IF you executed very well. The demos wouldn't be ideal, so flipping makes little sense unless you're flipping a station that pulls less than that in less than ideal demos. 106.7 tried it and failed. Doug pulls about a 2.8 now. That said, of Cumulus wants to clear national ads on 'Nash' that could provide the impetus for a flip.

It would be about as cheap as Doug to run and would have some additional business benefits for Cumulus.

I say look for this around April/May.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom