• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Houston-Galveston Radio Ratings: August 2015

I suppose the irony of this all is that KONO FM with it's oldies format happens to be in a market that, if I recall correctly, is about 75% Hispanic in population meaning the station is likely #1 because of this demographic fact. I might note that that percentage is made up of a greater number with a family tree that goes back to Mexico at some point in the past rather than other nations south of the United States. When I worked radio stations further south and west of San Antonio that were was much as 97% Hispanic, oldies were always appreciated and most of the local population had roots in Mexico in prior generations.

My mistake. I should have said that The Eagle self identifies for advertisers as classic hits.

KHPT identifies itself to Nielsen as "classic hits". I should have been clear that the station positioned itself this way for advertiser perception issues. In some parts of the US, classic rock is seen by buyers to have an audience that escaped from a ZZ Top video, while classic hits has more of a suburban boomer image... old but nice.

My main point to Bruce was that KPHT has rather skillfully occupied the space that a classic hits station would occupy. Because they are less classic rock than most classic rockers, they can sell advertisers that they are something that they really are not... by virtue of being close to that in reality. I think this is the reasoning behind the unwillingness of any owner to do a more KONO like classic hits station.

And, of course, The Eagle can always move a little to the right musically and become a KOLA like classic hits station to ward off any competitor. Or, as you mentioned, sound a bit like KRTH which sure is not a WOGL or WCBS kind of classic hits station any more.

Well that makes sense. As a regular traveler from Houston to San Antonio, I am able to listen to both Cox owned Eagles regularly. San Antonio's is more geared towards the textbook definition of what classic rock stations have become. Motley Crüe, Black Sabbath, AC/DC, etc. The difference between the two is that Houston's Eagle will play a Bob Seger song, whereas 106-7 will play Temple of the Dog instead. San Antonio's Eagle has to steer clear of sisters KONO-FM & KISS-FM's playlists. Our Eagle's sisters are both country, so they can run wide open with all kinds of classic pop & rock hits, stick it on the remaining two signals in the cluster, and present it as Houston's only classic rock station. I mean, after all, it is. It is the only station left that might play Guns N' Roses or Whitesnake. But not Dream Theater. Or Extreme. Or Jackyl. Or Saigon Kick. All of which technically should qualify to be in the classic rock genre now, given the 25 year old qualification for the music.

I like Houston's Eagle for what it is. An acceptable alternative if I have mistakenly left the wire for my phone to the car's unit behind at the house. However, what you confirmed is what any longtime Houstonian already knows. The Eagle isn't really a classic rock station, no matter how many times they repeat it. When you've grown up with the likes of KLOL, KSRR, and KRBE, the difference is pretty quick to be found.

Or you can drive to San Antonio and drop down a channel to hear it first-hand.

The format listing at radio-online is obviously incorrect, but the number is not. KUHA did fall 1.1 to 0.4 for the month, but remember they were in the midst of a great deal of transmitter issues, including several periods of being at reduced power and several days completely off the air. (The off-air period last week fell during the September survey period.)

You are absolutely correct, major brain fade on my part for overlooking that. The KUHA signal actually remained fairly good at my Cy-Fair location as well as my daily commute during the weeks of reduced power, so I wasn't all that conscious of it.

I have noticed that KUHA must have changed its audio processing about the same time as the new antenna went on the air; while the signal is back at full strength, the audio sounds rather dull, with the higher frequencies rolled off. Not good for a Classical format.

I suppose the irony of this all is that KONO FM with it's oldies format happens to be in a market that, if I recall correctly, is about 75% Hispanic in population meaning the station is likely #1 because of this demographic fact.

San Antonio is only about 50% Hispanic, but less than 20% of those Hispanics are Spanish dominant.

I might note that that percentage is made up of a greater number with a family tree that goes back to Mexico at some point in the past rather than other nations south of the United States.

Most Hispanics in the Southwest are of Mexican heritage. The percentages from other nations are very small, maybe 8% or so in Houston and LA, but much less elsewhere. What distinguishes San Antonio is the percentage of Tejano families that have been in Texas for many, many generations with some predating the Davy Crockett and Sam Houston crowd who came later.

When I worked radio stations further south and west of San Antonio that were was much as 97% Hispanic, oldies were always appreciated and most of the local population had roots in Mexico in prior generations.

That is a truth. Top 40 music in the 60's and 70's was enormously popular in the US among Hispanic youth, and just as big in Latin America with some stations playing a big percentage or even 100% English language pop.

I have noticed that KUHA must have changed its audio processing about the same time as the new antenna went on the air; while the signal is back at full strength, the audio sounds rather dull, with the higher frequencies rolled off. Not good for a Classical format.

KXBJ 96.9 does the same thing, could it be the same engineer? Wish they both would add some trebble in...

This is a good example of how a rumor gets started.

One poster comments on the mistake on a website where KUHT is listed, incorrectly, as "Sports".

Another poster interprets this mistake to mean that KUHT is switching to sports.

Now this post takes this "5th sports station" as a fact and makes his/her opinion on that known.

In the meantime, the error was further clarified, but neither of the last two posters noticed that.

Yes - I freakin' know KUHA isn't going sports. Yes, someone did say it, but only in relation to the format mistake on the ratings. And yes I noticed. I merely chose not to respond because my point was made. Too many sports, not enough oldies - except on HD-2.

KGLK is classic rock. I like it. I listen. Since the other classic rock station went - whatever it is - KGLK expanded its playlist. About time. But I don't give a rodent's posterior what they call themselves to advertisers. It is classic rock - a decent one - not the best classic rock station I've heard, but no longer the worst. As long as they don't play Hotel California every tenth song like they seemed to 6 years ago ---

KGLK was a BAD oldies station. I don't know where they heck they got their playlist / collection, but it was so bad I wouldn't bother listening when driving down here from Dallas. KLUV was so much better in the selection of music that it made KGLK unlistenable to an oldies fan. That bad playlist has single-handedly sabotaged oldies in the Houston market to the point that no station manager wants to risk it.

So we get the weird collection of cobbled together formats we have in Houston. Fine - with oldies on HD-2 and satellite - and streaming available from the list of stations above - I'm covered. I still think that oldies - done right - would succeed a whole lot better than the stuff they keep trying around here. Somebody is going to make a pile of money with an oldies station, given the success in other markets. All it takes is the desire to make the money, and I can't understand why somebody would try all these other weird formats - which have to be more risky - and leave a gaping format hole in Houston, one gladly covered in every other major market.

Somebody is going to make a pile of money with an oldies station, given the success in other markets.

The success in other markets you refer to is because those stations have dropped all music one would consider "oldies." There is no money in playing 60s and 70s Top 40 music any more.

For years, people on this board claimed the "gaping hole" was all news. So a station flipped to all news and you know what happened. After that experience, I doubt a lot of stations are going to listen to the talk about format holes.

The success in other markets you refer to is because those stations have dropped all music one would consider "oldies." There is no money in playing 60s and 70s Top 40 music any more..

Add to that: the stations mentioned are heritage operations, not start-ups. They long-ago became part of many listeners' menu of strations. Were such a station to come on the air where there was no late-70's and 80's music station, they would have to change established listening preferences.

I don't think any of the major owners would launch what is predominantly a 45+ format in a major market today.

It is not that oldies wouldn't have listeners but that the money is not there. In major markets at least, it is feast or famine. The market coverage signals are in a dog fight to monetize the investment with the quickest and most steady cash flow. The fringe fight to play with the big boys. The lesser stations and most all of the AM stations are the famine stations. Unless you've been in the GM position it might be hard to realize listeners do not always equal income. It has more to do with the right people listening. In major markets there is no middle class. More or less, it is mansion or enough money to spend the night in a seedy motel.

The big stations won't opt for oldies because in almost all instances the ad agency that doles out the dollars opt for the client's preferred younger demographics. Where oldies in the current day form are successful, they are on stations that were playing those songs when they were hits in most cases, thus, heritage stations.

The little guy cannot rely on anything but the mom and pop business and typically cannot establish enough of an audience for the single location business to see adequate results for their small investments. The little guy hasn't the cash reserve to invest what may be the first two years of red ink to reach breakeven and even once profits begin, cannot pay back the initial start up costs. These stations have few options. About the best bet for a format is if an area has a real sense of community and you can center on that area with a nice adult contemporary format and local information but even that is a big gamble (thinking Katy, Tomball in the Houston metro).

About the only option for oldies is a high school or college station and even then the typical oldies listener is not going to become a donor. At least not enough to carry the costs of the operation.

I've heard complaints about Southern Gospel stations running too many preaching and teaching programs but the truth is, much like oldies, the number of businesses that want to buy and what they can spend monthly means the ministry buying a 15 or 30 minute block is the only way you survive. KJIC is an exception but with such a slim budget it might not work if it was a start-up...they've done this for decades anyway, and their Underwriting rates are only around $10 per unit. Per Guide Star, their 2013 Form 990 shows about $21,000 a month in donors and Underwriting. Some argue you could be a computer in a closet but you don't account for all the other costs. Land comes to mind. The tower requires acreage and that is priced by the foot with little flexibility in moving to a low cost area because of interference/coverage areas. Office space, utilities, taxes and such really add up. A station needing under $30,000 a month is rare in a major market. And if you need $30,000, make that about $50,000 when you add on the salespeople to sell those $10 spots.

Those of us old enough recall the MOR stations that played Frank Sinatra, Andy Williams and such. By 1972 in Dallas you heard songs like Riders On The Storm by the Doors and Knocking on Heaven's Door by Bob Dylan included in an effort to skew younger so they could grab ad dollars. You can bet the older demos were kicking and screaming like the oldies fans are about 80s hits being added and 60s being minimized. As an early comer to radio, I have vivid memories of 1960s radio, even before 20-20 news and 'more music' radio. I wish there was a station but I know why there isn't and I accept this. If I knew how to change an industry and it's thinking, I'd try to do it and I likely wouldn't be posting this. Then again, I would feel the need to do so.

It is not that oldies wouldn't have listeners but that the money is not there.

That's exactly right. Unless there's a way to charge the listeners. Come up with a sure-fire way to do that, and radio stations will play music from the 50s or anything else people will pay for. Until then, the advertisers get to decide what we play, and they like younger audiences. That's just how it is.

There is absolutely no discussion of KUHA becoming a sports station. None. Nada.

What did happen is a mistake in identifying the KUHA format by one website that posts ratings numbers. An error, and one of many in those web listings of ratings.

KUHA is a non-commercial station. Quick, name me one non-commercial FM all-sports station.

Then again, what does UofH care about ratings?? They only care that they get enough $$ to cover operations...since they cant sell ads, ratings have no meaning to a non-comm

You don't understand non-commercial radio very well. If ratings didn't matter they would not be a subscriber and to have your ratings show, you have to subscribe.

Most non-commercial stations make it from grants and underwriting, not listener contributions. Underwriting is sold based on the reach of the station exactly like commercial stations do. Grants are easier to come by when you have a substantial audience. While grants are just that, if you can gain increased awareness for the grantee, the more options they have at continuing to gain dollars to award in grants. In my mind there's not much difference between Underwriting and Commercials mainly because the business has the same goal: enhance their position and gain more customers while making existing customers remember them. It's not a donation in the business owner's mind but a marketing plan.

That's not to mention you have a board of directors that have expectations of what those stations can do and expect the staff and management to pull that off.

Most university/college owned stations are expected to pay their own way and as a result are many times a separate entity from the education these institutions provide.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom