• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Honolulu - Did KPOI (Alt 105.9) Flip Formats To AC?!

The title says it all. I just tuned in online and, after a Maroon 5 song, a female-voiced sweeper stated “Hawaii’s Relaxing Favorites At Night - The Wave 105.9”. Then, a song by Eddie Rabbitt and Crystal Gayle played; Elton John’s “Circle of Life” is currently playing.

I can’t find any news articles so this flip must have just happened.

Thoughts?

What a way for an alt station (even one with a 1.4 share) to go out -- a final hour featuring Kelly Clarkson, Phil Collins, Pink, Air Supply, Selena and Bryan Adams! Tears of nostalgia or tears of rage from the listeners? Either way, it must have been an effective "palate cleanser" for the format to follow!

According to the article, that was actually the first hour of the new station. We actually don't know what the last hour on Alt 105.9 looked like.

The last two songs were Meg Myers "Runnin' Up That Hill" (remake of Kate Bush song) and Suzanne Vega "Tom's Diner."

The switch makes sense. Honolulu has two Alternative stations, 105.9 KPOI and 101.9 KUCD, like LA and San Diego. But what station is consistently #1, book after book? AC KSSK-AM-FM. It's pretty much a Mainstream AC. Then there are Mainstream AC 96.3 KRTR and Rhythmic AC 94.7 KUMU. If there is all that AC audience out there, surely some listeners would want a more classic, softer AC, with KPOI now filling the void.

Alt fans still have 101.9 KUCD, owned by iHeart.

http://www.insideradio.com/free/kpo...cle_244aa868-8e47-11ea-a479-476a47384df0.html

The switch makes sense. Honolulu has two Alternative stations, 105.9 KPOI and 101.9 KUCD, like LA and San Diego. But what station is consistently #1, book after book? AC KSSK-AM-FM. It's pretty much a Mainstream AC. Then there are Mainstream AC 96.3 KRTR and Rhythmic AC 94.7 KUMU. If there is all that AC audience out there, surely some listeners would want a more classic, softer AC, with KPOI now filling the void.

http://www.insideradio.com/free/kpo...cle_244aa868-8e47-11ea-a479-476a47384df0.html

I hope they change the call letters however -- feels like an assault on the historic KPOI calls to now have such soft AC music associated with it. Also this would, I believe, be the first Oahu station to pick up "The Wave" branding since it was on 98.5 KHHH in the late 1980s.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom