• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

HLN (Headline News Network)

I think you can say that about a lot of the former cable channels. Their original creators have long since gone, as have their audiences. So they've mainly become rerun channels without much useful original content. (keyword being useful) In the meantime, all the money is being directed to OTT and streaming services. So it's making traditional cable TV far less worth the money. Actually I'm reading that even HBO has lost its direction. I don't subscribe, so I don't know.
But what audiences channels like A&E and TLC (along with History Channel) have now are likely younger than those they attracted back in their culture and education days, which may help them retain advertisers looking for the impulse buyers they crave so much, even though total viewership is much smaller.

But what audiences channels like A&E and TLC (along with History Channel) have now are likely younger

I'm not sure about that. Based on the ads I see on those channels, they're similar to what you see on CNN and Fox News. All older demos. I think they're just selling tonnage, not so much demos.

Definitely not the days of Chuck Roberts, Gordon Graham, and Bob Losure (RIP). It's yet another "binge-watch reruns" network, not worth the cost of expanded basic cable. Might as well send Headline News to the grave now.
Like TNT, A&E, TLC, MTV, VH1, and others, it has made cable TV a vast graveyard of junk. It's only worth it for TCM and sports channels, nothing else. Maybe HBO.
All these cable channels are mainly labels within their respective owners apps at this point.

I know what you mean MTV and VH1 are mainly labels within Paramount+. But their original forma is gone since the labels signed agreements with apps like Spotify, Iheart, YouTube ages ago. Iheart Music festival and awards are big deal for pop music fans today like the MTV Awards were in the past.

The only channel that really rebranded was TNN. And that went through so many different formats.
Only two as TNN. The original stood for The Nashville Network and focused on country music and lifestyle. The second was The National Network and featured a variety of blue-collar, male-oriented programming. It quickly transitioned to Spike.

is there a chance there will be a 24 hour Cartoonito channel or a 24hr Adult Swim channel
Sure, if there's a market for it, viewers interested in watching and advertisers willing to support it financially. Problem is, which cartoons do you air? Though some fondly remember Looney Toons, Bugs Bunny and Tom and Jerry, that audience is 50 and over now. There were lots of cartoons in the 80s like Ducktales, Chip and Dale (sp?), Transformers, etc. but again, that audience is older. Adult Swim is still around, but it seems much of the programming on there had or has a niche viewership and sometimes a cult following - probably not enough interest for a 24 hour network. Even when series like "Squidbillies" was very popular on Adult Swim, one of my buddies dressed as a character from that show for Halloween, and few knew the series or who/what he was supposed to be.

or even a revival of CNNSI or CNNMoney?
Considering NBCSN, NBC's dedicated sports channel just folded and went away shortly after the last Olympics, you probably won't see an attempted revival of CNNSI anytime soon. As far as CNNMoney, there's already Fox Business and CNBC to provide financial and business news. CNNMoney may struggle for viewership and advertisers.

Sure, if there's a market for it, viewers interested in watching and advertisers willing to support it financially. Problem is, which cartoons do you air? Though some fondly remember Looney Toons, Bugs Bunny and Tom and Jerry, that audience is 50 and over now. There were lots of cartoons in the 80s like Ducktales, Chip and Dale (sp?), Transformers, etc. but again, that audience is older. Adult Swim is still around, but it seems much of the programming on there had or has a niche viewership and sometimes a cult following - probably not enough interest for a 24 hour network. Even when series like "Squidbillies" was very popular on Adult Swim, one of my buddies dressed as a character from that show for Halloween, and few knew the series or who/what he was supposed to be.

Considering NBCSN, NBC's dedicated sports channel just folded and went away shortly after the last Olympics, you probably won't see an attempted revival of CNNSI anytime soon. As far as CNNMoney, there's already Fox Business and CNBC to provide financial and business news. CNNMoney may struggle for viewership and advertisers.
Or WBD can buy Bloomberg TV

MTV and VH1 are also used pretty heavily on OTT linear programming like Pluto TV, Live Guide On Roku etc.

The main Pluto MTV Channel is described as

“Take a dive into MTV's classic hit programming on MTV Pluto, featuring the best of MTV's reality & dating shows”

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom