• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

High school football on the radio

Tonight I tuned into 1470 AM to discover a high school football game between Jefferson and Chamberlain. Two guys were doing the play-by-play in a room with some other guy in the background talking. I couldn't tell if he was giving them info or calling the game for another station. Their voices were echoing off the walls, and it was sort of a shotty operation. Anyway, I wanted to get your take on this. Do we really need high school games on the radio? I think listeners would prefer hearing ESPN's syndicated programming rather an a football game like this. I know football is big at some high schools, but I didn't know that they have big-signal stations for their games on the radio.

High School football is a license to print money for local radio. Even Clear Channel does it in Sarasota. You can get premium dollars for basically throw away time, plus it provides a local service to their community. A win win. Exactly what radio is supposed to do. So what if the play by play is a little amateurish, it's local programming at it's best. It is so popular in the south, that there are a lot of stations that cheat and dont go to night power or pattern until the game is over....

> Tonight I tuned into 1470 AM to discover a high school
> football game between Jefferson and Chamberlain. Two guys
> were doing the play-by-play in a room with some other guy in
> the background talking. I couldn't tell if he was giving
> them info or calling the game for another station. Their
> voices were echoing off the walls, and it was sort of a
> shotty operation. Anyway, I wanted to get your take on this.
> Do we really need high school games on the radio? I think
> listeners would prefer hearing ESPN's syndicated programming
> rather an a football game like this. I know football is big
> at some high schools, but I didn't know that they have
> big-signal stations for their games on the radio.
>

> It is so popular in the south, that there are a
> lot of stations that cheat and dont go to night power or
> pattern until the game is over....

<<--Chuckles. JUST last week, one of the stations I do engineering work for called to ask the chances of getting caught, and how much trouble they'd be in if they didn't go to night power/pattern until AFTER the game was over.

> Tonight I tuned into 1470 AM to discover a high school
> football game between Jefferson and Chamberlain. Two guys
> were doing the play-by-play in a room with some other guy in
> the background talking. I couldn't tell if he was giving
> them info or calling the game for another station. Their
> voices were echoing off the walls, and it was sort of a
> shotty operation. Anyway, I wanted to get your take on this.
> Do we really need high school games on the radio? I think
> listeners would prefer hearing ESPN's syndicated programming
> rather an a football game like this. I know football is big
> at some high schools, but I didn't know that they have
> big-signal stations for their games on the radio.
>

http://www.espnflorida.com/news/article_17.shtml

Says they have HS football every friday...

> > It is so popular in the south, that there are a
> > lot of stations that cheat and dont go to night power or
> > pattern until the game is over....
>

620 is also doing high school football on Friday nights. It is great local PR for the stations and can make money.

Back in my radio days, we made good money for the station and for the talent too. We sponsored everything from the half hour pre-game show to the game to the scores announced throughout the evening after the game.

> > >Back in the day when there was such a thing as "local radio" high school football was a good way to make money, friends, and become a vital part of the community you served.

It is so popular in the south, that there are a
> > > lot of stations that cheat and dont go to night power or
>
> > > pattern until the game is over....
> >
>
> 620 is also doing high school football on Friday nights. It
> is great local PR for the stations and can make money.
>
> Back in my radio days, we made good money for the station
> and for the talent too. We sponsored everything from the
> half hour pre-game show to the game to the scores announced
> throughout the evening after the game.
>

Off and on from the 1960's through the late 1970's, an independent Tampa radio producer put together a weekly package of high school football games that aired on several radio stations. They featured play-by-play of one game a week, plus quarter-by-quarter reports of three or four other games.

Scores of additional games were called in to the studio by students of the home teams' schools, who were chosen by the producer, and given a verification code, that way it protected the show from being given two different scores of the same game. And that was when they had to call in on a payphone or a press box phone, long before cellphones and text messaging were widespread.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom