• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

help with a tune

I am sure one of you guys (gals) can help me identify a 50s or 60s song. I thought the title might have been 'Makin' Love' or 'Making Love'. I went thru all of the search engines I could think of with no success. Some of the lyrics are " What would people say, what would people do if they if knew I was out with you makin love ove ove, makin love."
I remember this was a male singer, and possibly his only hit recording.

oldiesed said:
I am sure one of you guys (gals) can help me identify a 50s or 60s song. I thought the title might have been 'Makin' Love' or 'Making Love'. I went thru all of the search engines I could think of with no success. Some of the lyrics are " What would people say, what would people do if they if knew I was out with you makin love ove ove, makin love."
I remember this was a male singer, and possibly his only hit recording.

Here is your song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfekMAea1GU

Pretty racy stuff for 1959...just in time for the American Invasion for #9 on the charts.

Even produced by Chet Atkins! Man, I don't think I have heard this song since the mid-60's. Loved hearing it again.

I love that song too! I have it in my computer, on multiple MP3 players and in my Android phone to enjoy, when I listen to the oldies.

Covered for the Canadian market by Bobby Curtola. I used to heard his version played on a Canadian oldies (or "classic gold" as they called it) station that no longer exists.

Silkie said:
Pretty racy stuff for 1959...just in time for the American Invasion for #9 on the charts.
True, but give them credit too for presoaking the mischievious lyrics with a Wake Up Little Suzy kind of innocence, serving as sort of a boundary of silliness. This qualified it as "safe" for airplay.

Another poster suggested that this song got a free pass for airplay due to the not-so-cynical value system of the '50s. I'm not so sure; record producers and recording artists were pushing the envelope long before radio stations would risk playing more risque songs. Stations in the '50s were much more cautious, and more prone toward screening music according to local market standards.

Once upon a time, say in the '30s or so (I learned from an old movie) "making love" had a meaning more akin to flirting with, or "wooing", or perhaps a more genteel version of what nowadays would be called "hitting on".

In other words, it was something that could be done fully clothed in public and physical contact was not necessarily involved.

unitron said:
Once upon a time, say in the '30s or so (I learned from an old movie) "making love" had a meaning more akin to flirting with, or "wooing", or perhaps a more genteel version of what nowadays would be called "hitting on".

In other words, it was something that could be done fully clothed in public and physical contact was not necessarily involved.
Like Eddie Cantor, Making Whoopie.

unitron said:

No doubt about it.....words and meanings change over the years. Just think of all the songs that used the word "gay" to mean "happy" or "carefree".

The subject of this thread reminds me of an episode of Married With Children. Al goes to great pains to identify a long forgotten song. He remembers only the hook phrase, "...go to him"

jfrancispastirchak said:
The subject of this thread reminds me of an episode of Married With Children. Al goes to great pains to identify a long forgotten song. He remembers only the hook phrase, "...go to him"

Yup. The song was "Anna" by Arthur Alexander

TheFonz said:
jfrancispastirchak said:

Yup. The song was "Anna" by Arthur Alexander

Really? That's in my iTunes library. Cool.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom