• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Help ID'ing Roy Orbison song inspired by Ravel's Bolero

Actually it's the bridge in the song which has the Bolero bit.

I've heard it about 2 or 3 times, but I still don't know the name.

I'm not even sure if it is Roy Orbison. :p

Thanks in Advance.

My immediate reaction is "Running Scared". What do you think?

BTW, on this day in 1936 Roy Orbison was born in Vernon, TX. Happy birthday BIG O!! RIP

SuperRadioFan said:

BTW, on this day in 1936 Roy Orbison was born in Vernon, TX. Happy birthday BIG O!! RIP

Roy was one of the great ones. What a voice.

radioman148 said:
SuperRadioFan said:

Roy was one of the great ones. What a voice.

Happy birthday to the Wink Westerner, the man with the three octave voice, whose lips barely moved when he sang. He belted 'em out though.

"In Dreams"

thathoustonradiogeek said:
Actually it's the bridge in the song which has the Bolero bit.

I've heard it about 2 or 3 times, but I still don't know the name.

I'm not even sure if it is Roy Orbison. :p

Thanks in Advance.
My first reaction was “Running Scared”, similar to SRF. However, the background rhythm in “Scared” is with Orbison’s 4 beat strumming and full orchestral fill throughout. The break is with full orchestration also.

I tend to think the tune you’re looking for is “Distant Drums”. The bass line in Orbison's recording is very similar to Ravel’s “Bolero”. There is a very incessant percussion lead, and the break (bridge) consists of six bars of solo drum beats alternating in ½ notes and ¼ notes. Also, the song title is only mentioned twice within the lyrics, making it difficult to identify if one is not familiar with the composition.

Jim Reeves also recorded this composition in the early 60s.

“Distant Drums” lyrics:
I hear the sound of distant drums
Far away, far away
And if they call for me to come
Then I must go and you must stay

So Mary marry me, let's not wait
Let's share all the time we can before it's too late
Love me now for now is all the time there may be
If you love me Mary, Mary marry me

I hear the sound of bugles blow
Far away, far away
And if they call, then I must go
Across the sea, so wild and grey.

So Mary marry me, let's not wait
For the distant drums might change our wedding date
And love me now, for now is all the time there may be
If you love me Mary, Mary marry me

Try Rufus Wainwright "Oh What a World" check It out On "You Tube".........sounds a bit like Roy Orbison.

hornet61 said:
Try Rufus Wainwright "Oh What a World" check It out On "You Tube".........sounds a bit like Roy Orbison.

I forgot to add "Oh What A World" is based on Ravels Bolero......

It's a good thing that Roy Orbison wore dark glasses. Most of his music was so grim that he always looked like he was in mourning.

RicoGregg said:
It's a good thing that Roy Orbison wore dark glasses. Most of his music was so grim that he always looked like he was in mourning.

The dark glasses resulted from having to wear them on stage one night, because he forgot his glasses. It became part of his stage persona, which led to his becoming known by the nickname, The Dark Star. I've never considered his music grim, but most of it was not real rockin' stuff.

Some of the more upbeat tunes:

Oh Pretty Woman
Ooby Dooby
Dream Baby
You Got It

Silkie said:
RicoGregg said:

The dark glasses resulted from having to wear them on stage one night, because he forgot his glasses. It became part of his stage persona, which led to his becoming known by the nickname, The Dark Star. I've never considered his music grim, but most of it was not real rockin' stuff.

Some of the more upbeat tunes:

Oh Pretty Woman
Ooby Dooby
Dream Baby
You Got It

I Got A Woman really rocks.

I think the song you are looking for is Ray Peterson's "I Could Have Loved You So Well".

Here's one for ya .. Roy Orbison had a great love of model airplanes. I was exhibiting and selling models at a large convention and trade show in Toledo in the mid-80's.

Mr. Orbison came over and we talked airplanes for about 15 minutes, then into some of our personal info and then he drifted off into the crowd.

I was at the same show a year later, with another model display. Out of the crowd comes Roy Orbison again and calls me by name ... it was pretty neat. We had another long chat about models.

When he died, it was those conversations about model airplanes that went through my mind even before I thought of his music accomplishments.

Regards everyone

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom