• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

He stopped loving her today...

yep, sorry to get political here, but you boys started it. re mr bongwater /KKWF. ironically, other than one big chart hit in the late 80's that the seattle FM'rs(MF'rs really!) couldn't ignore , jones music has been hardcore FM blacklisted for 30 some years round them parts. why start now via some lame wolf outlet? i had to buy my way into a george jones music edumication via record albums in the early/mid 80's. i soon discovered the unplayed hits that george had put out just years prior, and the new singles coming out that had been ignored/blacklisted by these country radio fraudsters.

I attended the Alabama concert in Wallingford Connecticut on Friday evening. During the show, Randy Owen invited the entire audience to stand and join the band in singing "She Thinks I Still Care". It was a beautiful and moving tribute to the great George Jones.

By the way, the boys from Alabama haven't lost a thing. They sounded as good on Friday as they did 30 years ago!

The Jones lyric that comes to mind is, "There's nothing better once you've had the best."

^^^ If it weren't for Alan Jackson, I wouldn't even know that song. I have the album that has Alan's cover of that song in it and to me he does and awesome job! :) :) :)

God bless you and AJ always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. His 1999 Under The Influence album is where you will find it! Keep in mind that is the year that Alan did an unplanned rendition of "Choices" in honor of George at the CMA awards after the CMA powers that be would not allow George to sing the whole song during the show. :) :) :)

jh said:
I still remember years ago, going into the production studio with the new 45s that had come in the mail... hearing "Who's Gonna Fill Their Shoes" for the first time... and feeling a few chills run up my back and probably a tear or two down my face.

RIP, George.

Same "chills" experience here, though not in the production room. I'd been away from full time radio a few years when a local New Mexico country station hired me as a part time weekender. Driving to the station for my Sat evening show, the DJ I was to relieve played Who's Gonna Fill... I remember thinking, Lord, how prophetic! I considered whether the song would catch on, and if so, how appropriate it would be to play it in George's honor, on that inevitable, sad day when the Lord called him home. I did an awful lot of thinking back in those days, maybe too much.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom