• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

HDTV question...

I got a question, when they "Kill" analog tv in 2007 or 2008 whenever it is, will the TV stations still remain at there digital channels now? or will they go to where the analog channels are? I was just wondering because if they did stay the same, I may need to get a UHF only antenna to pick up frother stations, will it be a lot clearer dx'n HD Tv? I gues I had 2 questions. lol
Thanks,.,
<P ID="signature">______________
jras20</P>

It all depends. Full-license TV stations which currently have two channels get to make an election between the two. It’s all very complicated. There are issues of interference, core channels (2-51) vs. non-core channels, desirability of VHF vs. UHF and the like. The discussion goes well beyond the scope of this Board.

Very often, stations with a DTV allocation in the core band have elected to stay on their DTV channel. But, there are exceptions. And, it’s a moving target, as a round of elections is completed, the chess pieces move around the board.

So, plan on having VHF and UHF for now. In my town, I will have at least one VHF DTV station when the dust clears.

There is someone lurking on this Baord who knows more than most on this issue. As a TV engineer it’s his business. Perhaps he’ll chime in.

As far as DX on DTV (btw: HDTV is high-def; not all digital TV, or “DTV,” is high-def), DXing will be different. Folks who spend time on the dials have found the hobby different digital, but not impossible. “Cliff effect,” I think most would agree, increases difficulty. But, with channel mapping and the like, IDing stations is easier. Despite the differences, I have seen loggings through the troposphere (e.g., UHF stations) seen over 800 miles out. There have even been a smattering of loggings of DTV stations on low-band VHF via refraction though the ionosphere. Those contacts, while rare, can exceed 1000 miles.

DE
<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by DeadElvis on 12/05/05 10:28 PM.</FONT></P>

> I got a question, when they "Kill" analog tv in 2007 or 2008
> whenever it is, will the TV stations still remain at there
> digital channels now? or will they go to where the analog
> channels are? I was just wondering because if they did stay
> the same, I may need to get a UHF only antenna to pick up
> frother stations, will it be a lot clearer dx'n HD Tv? I
> gues I had 2 questions. lol

I guess Peter's talking about me<grin>...

It looks like sometime early in 2009 is the cutoff date.

As to whether they remain at their digital channels or revert to their analog channels, it depends<grin>.

Channels 52-69 are going away. So if:

- The station's digital channel is above 51 and their analog channel is 51 or lower -- then they have to revert to their analog channel.

- The station's analog channel is above 51 and their digital channel is 51 or lower -- then they have to stay on their digital channel.

- Both the analog and digital channels are 51 or lower -- then the station may choose either.

- Both the analog and digital channels are above 51 -- then the station must negotiate for the use of a channel abandoned by some other station.

- Some newer stations were not assigned a second channel for digital. These stations must "flash-cut" to digital operation on their current channel. (or, if they're not yet in operation, they may choose to begin as a digital-only station) Examples include WMAK-DT channel 7 in Knoxville which signed on as a DTV station... or KPXJ channel 21 in Minden, La. which signed on as analog but recently flash-cut to digital.

But...

- Even if a station has a channel 51 or lower, it may still negotiate a deal with some other station to use a channel abandoned by that station. For example, WBBM-TV in Chicago is analog channel 2 and digital channel 3. DTV channel 3 isn't working out very well. WBBM has negotiated an agreement with WTTW to use WTTW's current analog channel 11. WTTW's DTV facility will remain on its current channel 47.

- It's not entirely correct to say that a station may choose either channel if its digital and analog channels are both 51 or lower. Many channel assignments are not considered acceptable for permanent use, due to interference concerns. In these cases the FCC will only ratify one choice.

- Agreements to use a channel abandoned by some other station must be ratified by the FCC. In quite a few cases, the Commission is refusing to approve these selections.

As for DXing...

Yes, DTV DX, when you receive it, will be a lot clearer than analog DX. It will also be somewhat rarer. (but contrary to common opinion, DTV DX is NOT impossible. Even with a poorly-maintained antenna system, I've received 400-mile DTV DX; others have done considerably better. )

Thats good to know that digital will be clearer, will those digital box converters get cheaper? I dont plan on buying a new tv unless mine goes out, I dont realy plan on getting a digital converter for the next 2 or so years at least, I wish I could "rent" one or barrow one to see how much better it will work out at my other place thats realy out in the fringes.
<P ID="signature">______________
jras20</P>

> Thats good to know that digital will be clearer, will those
> digital box converters get cheaper? I dont plan on buying a
> new tv unless mine goes out, I dont realy plan on getting a
> digital converter for the next 2 or so years at least, I
> wish I could "rent" one or barrow one to see how much better
> it will work out at my other place thats realy out in the
> fringes.
>

There is a plan on the table that "qualifying households" which do not subscribe to cable or satellite may be awarded a voucher to purchase a DTV set-top receiver box, possibly beginning in 2007. The catches are that "qualifying households" has not been clearly defined at this time, and the voucher will only be good toward a receiver with the minimum necessary functionality to produce an SD-quality picture on an existing analog TV.

It's too early to say if this plan will stick, improve, or fall apart. It has been, and will continue to be, a plan purely molded by political debate.

Don't count on it!

Most people don't have a clue that their TV's suddenly won't work in 2009. When it happens, there will be such an outcry from Joe Sixpack that can't watch his football game any more that it will make the current furor over Iraq pale to insignificance. A massive group of pissed off rednecks is gonna get politically involved long enough to vote everyone in Washington out of office that caused this mess, then they will go back to training their pit bulls.

Re: Don't count on it!

Haha yeah true, I know about everyone that I told that to had no idea about that was comming up, sure its 4 years away, but its something to keep in the back of your mind about.<P ID="signature">______________
jras20</P>

That's why we'll get "cable stamps" or something like that. It's already been political..someone on radio or TV blaming the Republicans for not seeing to it that the poor get government-funded converter boxes.<P ID="signature">______________
..from the Ball Park Franks sponsored gr8oldies keyboard...</P>

DXing digital TV will look like changing channels.
Rotating your antenna might look like changing channels.
I used to DX FM radio with a highly directional antenna, and as I turned it around, stations would just "pop" in and out, full quieting.

Under no circumstances are you to buy one of those attractively priced medium and large screen analogue TVs the stores are almost paying you to take home. Reminds me of New Years eve, 1980 or '81, when the value of a Lorain (sp?) scope fell from $1500 to $15 for parts in one night.<P ID="signature">______________
<a target="_blank" href=http://www.xstreamer.net/xinfo/v2/xstreamer.8.DC0000.ai4i.png>Proud 2 B a pioneering satellite radio subs¢riber
Ai4i is always on the trailing edge of technology</a>
</P>

> Most people don't have a clue that their TV's suddenly won't
> work in 2009. When it happens, there will be such an outcry
> from Joe Sixpack that can't watch his football game any more
> that it will make the current furor over Iraq pale to
> insignificance. A massive group of pissed off rednecks is
> gonna get politically involved long enough to vote everyone
> in Washington out of office that caused this mess, then they
> will go back to training their pit bulls.
>

Actually with cable penetration being around 75% the outcry wont be as loud. If you haev cable teh cable company will "convert" it for you.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom