• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

HD Surround Sound

DashRiprock

Inactive
Inactive User
Don’t get me wrong, I love my XM. In the car it sounds OK, but when I hooked it up to my circa 1987 home stereo…not so good. Now I hear what others have been talking about regarding sound quality. It could be better.

I read about “XM/HD Surround Sound” on thread from last year, but there wasn’t much there about the system or how it sounds. Is it still on just two channels? Any comments on the audio quality of HD on XM?

Let me add to the question above, has anyone heard XM surround in one of the home theatre receivers now available that have the integrated Neural Audio Decoder for XM?

If you haven’t seen one look here:
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=451033

I would guess only Fine Tuning and one or two other channels would have surround content quality worth listening to.

buttonpuncher said:
Let me add to the question above, has anyone heard XM surround in one of the home theatre receivers now available that have the integrated Neural Audio Decoder for XM?

If you haven’t seen one look here:
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=451033

I would guess only Fine Tuning and one or two other channels would have surround content quality worth listening to.

It’s a little pricey, but the Yamaha looks impressive! In addition to the XM/HD, it also sports a 'Compressed Music Enhancer'. Being the cheapskate that I am, I googled for 'compressed music enhancer' and found little unit made for the iPod for $30. Now I’m in search of something similar to improve XM’s audio quality. Any ideas?

So far everyone I’ve talked to says these devices would be a waste of money. The general consensus is that once a file is compressed, no electronic trickery can restore the quality.

The performance chart on Yamaha's website describing the so-called compressed music enhancer doesn't make much sense, it has a 100db range and what it appears they're showing it to do is restoring HF content above 12kHz or so. They only refer directly to mp3 and wma, not sure if this processes XM audio. Note that some of these receivers have an ethernet port and can play audio files directly out of your computer.

My main curiousity though was the surround sound performance on Fine Tuning and other channels (thanks livingfruitvirus for the others)

DashRiprock said:
It’s a little pricey, but the Yamaha looks impressive! In addition to the XM/HD, it also sports a 'Compressed Music Enhancer'. Being the cheapskate that I am, I googled for 'compressed music enhancer' and found little unit made for the iPod for $30. Now I’m in search of something similar to improve XM’s audio quality. Any ideas?

Don't waste your money. You cant polish a turd ;)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom