• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

HD Radio in Dallas using a Insignia™ - HD Radio Tabletop Radio

With the usual suspects i'm getting:
Farthest stations so far:
(88.9 KETR) Commerce-100 miles
(92.9) KNIN) Wichita Falls-109 miles
(93.1) KMKT Sherman-Denison 95.9 miles
(95.3) KHYI) Howe-65 miles
(97.5) KLAK Tom Bean-81 miles
(99.9) KLUR Wichita Falls-111 miles
(102.5) KMAD Whitesboro-95.9 miles

Any others I should look out for? (I'm in northern Tarrant County)

FM HD carrier power on average is -20db below the main analog carrier. With a analog FM carrier level of 100,000 watts erp the HD carrier on the same frequency is as low as 1,000 watts erp. If the FM HD stations has the ability to increase the HD carrier to the FCC maximum of -10db, the analog carrier remains 100,000 watts with the HD carrier at a maximum of 10,000 watts. Some stations in DFW can not run the maximum -10db HD carrier because of first and second adjacency issues, or the transmission facility does not support the -10db level.

Since at best the HD carrier is 10,000 watts erp you can figure the range would be reduced quite a bit from the analog only signal. It's not very easy to give you a HARD number of miles as each situation and receiving situation is different. With your DX report of FM from 100+ miles on a table-top I'd guess you had something more substantial antenna wise than the tack on the wall wire dipole or you were listening during one of the many recent tropo openings...

I can safely say since I live around 60 air miles from Cedar Hill I have to use above average antennas to receive the high powered HD FM stations. The lower powered stations are not audible in HD...So my best SWAG distance average is 60-65 miles real world...

Overall the radio works well, but having some trouble getting The Ticket and Newsradio 1080 in HD. (Just sitting on my counter, the rain should have absolutely nothing to do with this since it's getting it's signal from HD, right)

You will need to use the supplied AM "loop" antenna and make sure it is connected to the AM antenna connection and I believe the ground connection on the Insignia.

On the crappy Boston Acoustics I get 1080 HD very good 24/7 here in far north Collin Co. I can't hear the Ticket very well day or night. A real good demonstration of AM versus AM HD is 620 Disney, since they play music the difference is pretty dramatic...

With the loop you'll need to play with the positioning to get a solid lock and it may be different positions for 620 Disney, 1310 the Ticket and 1080 KRLD.

Good Luck
Jay Walker

KTCK's HD signal is on KPLX HD-2. But 104.1 works awesomely for me just OTA.

A little curious how many blowtorch AM HD's can be picked up at night. Chicago? Denver?

Triple Fake Jerry said:
KTCK's HD signal is on KPLX HD-2. But 104.1 works awesomely for me just OTA.

A little curious how many blowtorch AM HD's can be picked up at night. Chicago? Denver?

Early on when night time authorization was granted for AM HD, I got KOA and if I recall WWL ONCE, but since that one time I've logged none. It appears a large number of the 50K (former 1-A) stations have switched off night-time HD or completely dropped HD altogether. As far as I've heard, none of the "local" biggies and easy catches, WWL, KOA, WLS, WOAI etc are still transmitting IBOC at night. I checked the HDRadio.com page, but it is so far out of date, it's worthless.

When I was actively seeking night-time DX loggings of HD, I was using the Boston Acoustics Receptor (crappy front-end) and a home-brew active amplified rotatable shielded loop. I still use the loop and one of my many tube-type monsters (Hammarlund/National/Drake) to prowl the AM band. It's not the same though since the "glory days" of the 70's and 80's. The best place to prowl for DX now is top-band above 1600 and below 1700 but no HD logged.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom