• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

HD Radio for P’cola and surrounding areas

Just noticed that WXBM is now HD with HD2 subchannel. I am thinking WMEZ and the other Cumulus channels will follow suit. They have RDS as their call letters and usually HD radio displays the station’s respected call letters. In Mobile, the audio quality on WABD sounds very high or is just me?

I don't foresee them adding any more HD broadcasts in our area, because there's nothing left for them to simulcast off their AM properties.

As I remember it, at one time Cumulus had HD on WBLX, WYOK and WJLQ. My guess is those three encoders are what we're hearing now. The one on WYOK was turned back on for WDLT, and is simulcasting the Mobile AMs WXQW and WGOK. One was moved to WXBM for the WCOA simulcast, and one was sent to Fort Walton for WZNS to simulcast WFTW.

Unless there's something I'm missing somewhere, I don't think it'd be worth the expense of setting up HD on another station at this point. Without translators they really have no reason to run secondary channels, too.

I don't foresee them adding any more HD broadcasts in our area, because there's nothing left for them to simulcast off their AM properties.

As I remember it, at one time Cumulus had HD on WBLX, WYOK and WJLQ. My guess is those three encoders are what we're hearing now. The one on WYOK was turned back on for WDLT, and is simulcasting the Mobile AMs WXQW and WGOK. One was moved to WXBM for the WCOA simulcast, and one was sent to Fort Walton for WZNS to simulcast WFTW.

Unless there's something I'm missing somewhere, I don't think it'd be worth the expense of setting up HD on another station at this point. Without translators they really have no reason to run secondary channels, too.
Or they can just run one HD (HD1) feed. Audio quality can go a long way and right now I find their audio quality to be loud and somewhat distorted.

Or they can just run one HD (HD1) feed. Audio quality can go a long way and right now I find their audio quality to be loud and somewhat distorted.
Eh, I still rank them as better sounding than the iHeart stations, but yeah, they could do that, and have before. When 100.7 went back to music after the failed talk experiment, they ran it for a while and it sounded fantastic. It's just a lot of extra power consumption for little benefit to most listeners.

Eh, I still rank them as better sounding than the iHeart stations, but yeah, they could do that, and have before. When 100.7 went back to music after the failed talk experiment, they ran it for a while and it sounded fantastic. It's just a lot of extra power consumption for little benefit to most listeners.
Yeah out of all the Cumulus stations I think The Jet sounds the best. They should go more Classic Hits (Oldies) than Classic Rock. I think it crosses into 96.1 a wee too much but that is just me.

Back
Top Bottom