• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Has the genre truely ran its course?

M

MMVRBfan

Before I get slammed or criticized for this being a dumb question, this is just from a generalized perspective and not meant to be offensive or critical. From my point of view when I began taking more of an interest in dance music back in the late 90s and early 2000s, it was new and exciting to me since it was outside the conventional eurodance at the time. As time went on and so many derivatives and sub-genres and 'quasi' whatever any would call it has arrived/evolved and some have went, I got to thinking if the genre as a whole has come full circle similar to what other genres of music have done (and some others have done more than once), or whether it has plateaued and 'ran its course' as of late. Plus, something to consider, I suppose, is whether the genre is as appreciated say with the new generation of youngsters (GenZ/'Digital Natives') as compared with GenX and Millennials (GenY) when the music (at least in their eyes) was great during their formative years and hopefully later years as well. This isn't meant to bash any particular generation, just an overview perspective--like what the dance hits were to one generation to the latest hits that were airing at the time to another generation. Bear in mind, no offense to anyone of all ages (including myself) who continue to enjoy and appeal to this kind of music of yesteryear to now. Comments?

It makes no sense that "Beat Shazam", while doing several dance songs, played mostly today's junk but also something great like The Village People. That hardly seems to fit the genre.

I preferred the trance/house era circa 2004-2014. What passes for "dance" music now is weak and is not much different from what a CHR plays. So it has probably come under more American pop/urban influence. So depending on which sub-genre you preferred may determine if dance has "run it's course" or not. It has for me mostly. But there are always different things being produced outside the mainstream.

I think EDM peaked a few years ago. Now, those artists seem to be moving closer to mainstream. Trance and Techno were around for a long time but EDM outlasted them all.

I don't consider EDM to be an all encompassing title for the Dance genre. To me, EDM has always been a sub-genre.

I'm finding tons of dance/EDM music from online stations around the world. One I can't stop listening to is Radio FG from Antwerp, Belgium. I found it on radio.garden.

I'm finding tons of dance/EDM music from online stations around the world. One I can't stop listening to is Radio FG from Antwerp, Belgium. I found it on radio.garden.

Are they doing anything new, or just recycling past hits? I think that's more the issue in the OP.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom